Support thread for MN's trying to buy a house(311 Posts)
I can't find another thread like this, and I thought we could do with a sister thread to the trying to sell.
Thought I'd kick off with my rage!
Currently exchanged on the house that I have sold and living in husbands work accomodation so my situation is not dire, but still.
We offered on a property in August. It is a vacant property, and we said that we would like to exchange contracts 18th October with a view to complete no later than 1st November. We got the house at 95.8% of the market price.
So far we have not received the fixtures and fittings list, even though the vendor completed them the week before last. I have been back several times to measure up for lino in the bathrooms/curtains/take pictures of holes in the wall (for my decorator - there are lots). Went back this weekend just gone to check a couple of things (I always forget something) and the vendor has taken all of the bathroom fittings (toilet roll holder, etc), all of the curtain poles, all of the blinds. Now I am beginning to get a bit worried she is going to pull up all the carpets as well (not budgeted for them). I know I am going to have to wait until I get the F&F list but I am feeling slightly nervous at the potential cost of replacing things like carpets now (the whole house - 5 bed is carpetted). Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh.
My old man is going away for business just as we are due to complete as well, so it is going to have to be me to deal with it all. Really looking forward to this move.......NOT!!!!
Never EVER doing this again.
Thats encouraging Kato, well done! House passed gas safety inspection today so our offer has been confirmed...Bank in the morn for full mortgage application!
Full mortgage application with underwriters as of this afternoon fingers crossed for a quick response!
Email from Bank...all approved and with Sols for the legal bit...woohoo
I haven't posted on this thread for a long while. Its great that so many have moved on and are in their house for Christmas.
As for us, we have now FINALLY got a mortgage. Unfortunately for us, the vendor has died and the property has to go through probate. I'm hoping that we'll have more houses back on the market after Christmas.
Mum please can you give an indication as to how much the gas certificate safety costs?
Sorry to hear that LondonSuperTrooper. There seems to be a steady trickle of properties coming onto the market in the areas we're looking in. Today was the first day that I saw a house and thought - oh that one's nice (and cheaper), maybe we should have looked some more. However I know my husband wouldn't like it due to the room sizes.
Congratulations M2F. That was really quick.
Our survey / valuation was carried out yesterday. We've been sorting stuff with the lawyers and should get the first lot of documents today or tomorrow. We're waiting to hear back from our broker about the mortgage. We've had a faff with our bank statements due to having an internet bank which meant specially ordered statements were needed and they've probably been caught up in the Christmas post. They've got our internet statements and need to the proper ones to cross check. I won't be able to relax until we get the mortgage offer confirmed and it sounds as if it might not be before Christmas due to the bank statement issue.
Hi London, gas safety certificate was £102 inclusive of VAT. I used the same company that does the inspection for my landlord.
Sols called today to say all checks done and satisfactory! Cant believe how smoothly its all gone! Paperwork coming in post to me tonight and mortgage details have been sent over by Bank.
Congrats Mum2Fergus - that was really quick!
Fingers crossed TuttoRhino - we didn't need to provide proper statements in the end as they decided internet ones were enough - which is a good thing as I'm still waiting for the proper ones I ordered!
We've had our survey done now - and the extension isn't going to fall off any time soon and it generally seems to be in a reasonable condition for the age of the house (1968-ish). No signs of subsidence either - it's in a former mining area so that's a relief! No damp. The surveyor recommends the only hope for the weird lean-to bit at the back is demolition - but we'll probably keep it as we quite like it! (and it's not going to fall off either - if it does then I suppose it's just demolished itself so will save us a job!)
Tutto Good luck withe bank statements issues. Ours took FOUR weeks till my flipping mortgage lender was happy with the statements provided!
Mum2F Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. We have been told by the EA that the vendor's family are not willing to reduce the price at all. Even though the survey has identified around £10k worth of work that needs to be done to make it safe e.g total rewiring of the house.
Good news ruby, you must be so relieved!
I'm very envious M2F. Good news Ruby. Our survey came back with no major issues either. Very relieved.
That timing fills me with dread LST. We've not heard from the mortgage broker so I guess we'll find out after Christmas, which is annoying. Hope the vendors have a think over Christmas and change their minds. It may be too raw for them right now.
we've just been to our house to take a few measurements (and glare at the vendor in a "why do you still live here" sort of way! )
It's looking like February for the move - there's been a delay in the upward chain a bit as our vendor's vendors have been on holiday over Christmas - but now everyone is back and all the paperwork is with the right solicitors!
I still love the place, and it was nice to see it in the daylight. We also went to the local shop and local pub - we really like the neighbourhood!
Join the discussion
Please login first.