Talk

Advanced search

Decisions,decisions...will Dulux Brilliant White look too stark in my new kitchen? Grateful for any advice...

(15 Posts)
ArcticRoll Sun 16-Sep-12 15:53:36

After consulting the wise folks of MN along with the way with choices over kitchens I have now got a great kitchen-matt off- white units, off- white Corian kitchen surfaces, oak flooring...decorator is due to start tomorrow and I'm stuck in bed with a cold. Worried that in my west facing kitchen my choice of brilliant white for walls may result in units and Corian looking dirty-any thoughts? Many thanks.

ArcticRoll Mon 17-Sep-12 11:47:00

A friend has recommended Farrow and Ball Wimbourne White- also noticed it mentioned in another thread. Wondered whether F and B worth the £££ and also don't think I'd be able to have a washable finish?

anchovies Mon 17-Sep-12 11:50:06

Is there a reason why you don't want a colour?

ArcticRoll Mon 17-Sep-12 11:58:23

Hi anchovies- no don't fancy colour- going for minimalist , clean lines look- have always had white walls ( well since nineties when I had orange walls with green paintwork' ).

amazonianwoman Mon 17-Sep-12 15:18:20

Wimborne white is great, not too creamy at all but not as harsh as brilliant white. I'm just painting all the doors off the hall with it, and will eventually do the banister etc too.

I've always had F&B colours copied at Johnstones but have to admit that their eggshell is much nicer than trade stuff and covers better too. I think I'll start using their modern emulsion, but no idea how durable it is for kitchens?

minipie Mon 17-Sep-12 16:57:35

If you want white, I would use Dulux Trade White, it is less stark than Brilliant White as it doesn't have the "brighteners" which can give a cold tinge.

Wimborne White is lovely (tis what is in our kitchen!) but it is definitely a slightly creamy/buttermilky type colour rather than white.

To me, it depends how off white your units etc are, and also what sort of off white (are they greyish? creamy?)

If your units are creamy then I'd prob go with Wimborne White. But get it colour matched by Dulux in a washable paint. Colour won't look exactly the same but very similar.

If your units are greyish white then I would definitely not use Wimborne White, it will look all wrong IMO. I'd use Dulux Trade White.

minipie Mon 17-Sep-12 16:59:01

amazonian I would say F&B modern emulsion is more hard wearing than their estate emulsion, but still nowhere near as hard wearing as one of the tougher Duluxes. It really is not washable.

ArcticRoll Mon 17-Sep-12 18:16:16

Thanks for all replies. Minipie- the Corian surfaces and up stands are cameo white which is more grey than cream white, as are units so now reconsidering Wimbourne- perhaps go with Dulux trade white instead? Amazonianwoman- my decorator advised using Johnstones paints to colur match F&B colour .

ArcticRoll Mon 17-Sep-12 18:18:48

Thanks for all replies. Minipie- the Corian surfaces and up stands are cameo white which is more grey than cream white, as are units so now reconsidering Wimbourne- perhaps go with Dulux trade white instead? Amazonianwoman- my decorator advised using Johnstones paints to colur match F&B colour .

amazonianwoman Mon 17-Sep-12 20:53:14

Yes, I've always been happy with Johnstones colour matches, and their paint is easy to use and is pretty tough. I'd definitely use theirs in my kitchen.

Isn't Great White meant to be a greyish white (copied!). Or Blackened?

I actually used some Fortress Trade Matt white last week on a ceiling. They also do brilliant white so I assume this isn't as 'white'. It certainly doesn't look too cold/harsh. I didn't particularly like using it. (quite thick) but the decorator thought it was great. It's cheaper than Dulux trade in B&Q.

amazonianwoman Mon 17-Sep-12 20:56:16

Arctic - what's the official colour of your units ? If you know who makes them? I've been looking at matt unit doors today and couldn't decide which colour to go for. I definitely don't want proper white!

ArcticRoll Mon 17-Sep-12 21:51:47

Amazonian- the units are made by a Dutch company, Keller. Can't remember what the exact name of the white was-I recall they did a brilliant white one too which looked too harsh.

ArcticRoll Sat 22-Sep-12 09:47:01

All painted now-chose Wimbourne White-Johnstone's colour match-looks so much nicer than brilliant white-thanks for all replies.

amazonianwoman Sat 22-Sep-12 13:14:50

Got any kitchen pics to share?!

FancyBread Sat 22-Sep-12 23:35:52

I have had quite a mixture of different whites in a kitchen before. I thought it would look odd but a decorator promised me it wouldn't and it didn't. He actually told me to have different whites. I had brilliant white (woodwork) a chalky white (cabinets) and a, err, a normal white white confused (wooden blinds - lots of them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now