Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me this is going to happen really

(30 Posts)
openerofjars Wed 29-Aug-12 23:47:11

We went to the solicitor today to sign some things (the contact for the house we are selling, for a start) and the solicitor said that we (as in Team Jars, which includes the solicitor) need to get the boundary queries around the house we are buying sorted ASAP as our buyer is getting antsy and her solicitor is now calling him every day for updates. As are we. I asked him to call their solicitor and update them, rather than waiting for them to nag him.

Surely:

1) this is for him to sort out, seeing as he is the solicitor and stuff.
2) if the buyer is getting impatient this is serious as we could lose our sale and our purchase

Please hold my hand as there is nothing I can do, nothing, until this one final query is sorted out and then I will sign in blood, I will.

We accepted our poor buyer's offer in May and now I am terrified it will all go to shit and they will pull out or gazunder us or similar.

Help! Or reassure, or something. I am on tenterhooks and every week that goes by makes it feel less and less like we are going to move. I haven't even started packing just in case it jinxes the move.

buttons33 Thu 30-Aug-12 00:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buttons33 Thu 30-Aug-12 00:29:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RCheshire Thu 30-Aug-12 01:39:05

My first place took 5 weeks to buy and 3.5 months to sell....

Depends on all involved solicitors and mortgage providers. If they're all efficient you can get things wrapped up very quickly. If not...

openerofjars Thu 30-Aug-12 15:21:11

Well, slap me with a kipper and call me Susan if my dear old solicitor hasn't been on the phone today, discussing possible completion dates. grin

Thank you for the hand holding last night: I couldn't sleep for worrying. But I might sleep a bit better tonight!

openerofjars Thu 30-Aug-12 15:22:10

buttins our first purchase was the same. confused. How's yours going?

bumbez Thu 30-Aug-12 17:34:12

Can I join your thread? Our offer was accepted in June and after much money haggling and then being very quiet, our buyers have finally agreed to talk about exchanging, hopefully September 12th once tenants move out of the house we are buying.

I'm still really worried it could go wrong, not sure whether to pack, but if we don't start will there be enough time?

Today our solicitor mentioned he didn't know about the tenants yet we did tell him.

Good luck everyone else smile

openerofjars Thu 30-Aug-12 17:42:30

Of course, pull up a crappy old chair that is going to the tip because it's not coming with us, I can tell you.

Start packing! I have gone from "what if it falls through" to "shiiiiiiiit, not enough tiiiiiiiime!" in the space of about three hours.

frostyfingers Thu 30-Aug-12 19:18:53

Don't even think about packing anything until you have exchanged. It isn't worth the worry until you get that bit done. You could do a general sort out and some trips to the tip by all means, but leave the rest until you've got a signature and the deposit. It is amazing what can be done if you pull the stops out, but there is nothing more demoralizing than having to undo arrangements and start again. Best of luck to you all - we sold in April, are in rented and desperate to buy - it's a nightmare process all round.

bumbez Thu 30-Aug-12 20:05:08

I wish our crappy chairs would go to the tip but Dh is such a hoarder, I ventured into our mahoosive loft yesterday it is chocker with crap Dh 's treasures. I don't know where to start. Although having read plims thread I will wait till exchange.

Have you exchanged yet openerof?

Fingers crossed you get something soon Frosty, someone on here said Nov/Dec are best times to buy when I guess desperate sellers reduce their prices.

openerofjars Thu 30-Aug-12 20:24:46

No, but we are going to on Tues.

We put our house on the market in March 2010, so this is all super exciting!

I feel confident to pack as it is our buyer who is putting the pressure on us to complete.

financialwizard Fri 31-Aug-12 08:44:41

Can I join you? I accepted an offer on at the end of May and it has slowly plodded along since then. We have been ready to exchange for 2 weeks but the buyers solicitor is very green so dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's. I just want it done now because even though we are in work accomodation we have had an offer accepted on what will be our 'forever' home. Why is buying and selling so stressful?

undertheduvet Fri 31-Aug-12 13:29:11

I'd suggest starting your packing with things you can do without for now and then get moving with the main stuff once you've exchanged. I wish our move had been less fraught, we exchanged on a thursday completed and moved on the friday - the next day! We'd paid for the removal firm to do the packing for us so we had a man in doing the packing on thurs whilst we still hadnt exchanged, that was the most stressful day ever. Hope the rest of your move goes nice and easy for you

bumbez Fri 31-Aug-12 15:01:50

Our mortgage is with HSBC which means a a 2 week delay after exchange due to their additional and unnesecary solicitors getting involved.

I am trying to ignore the other thread about HSBC really holding things up!

I hope it doesn't take any longer I'm off to Crete 2nd October with some girl friends and the completion date is getting scarily close to this. Dh bless him has said he'd move us whilst I'm gone if he had too shock .

I have provisionally booked removals - a really large lorry beginning with p and bought lots of strong refuse sacks. I'm intending to start once kids are back at school with sorting out toys, clothes and books.

openerofjars Tue 04-Sep-12 15:02:56

We signed our contracts today.

Our buyer wants to move next Tues, which we would be v happy with.

Our vendor wants to wait to look for a rented property to move into after exchange of contracts and doesn't want to move until 16 October. Our vendor is such a dick.

And to top it all, there is a fucking wasp in the room and I can't do anything about it as DD is asleep on my lap.

I may blow a fuse.

angry

openerofjars Tue 04-Sep-12 16:48:39

Update: fucking cunts are refusing to agree a completion date before mid-October because "My wife is pg and we need to find a suitable rented place".

Well, congratulations, assholes. Now get out of that house!

They have had since the start of May to sort this out. I have had a baby and finished a masters level OU module since they accepted our offer. What The actual fuck have they been doing?

I am in tears here.

I think we have two options:

1) sell our house and live on tenterhooks waiting for them to move out
A. Splitting our family so the dc and I stay at my mums or dads and DH lives with his, who are closer to work (mine are 1.5 hours and 2 hours away) or
B. renting somewhere very short term

2) Piss off our buyers even further by trying to stall them until our vendor is ready.

I don't think 2 is an option.

The thing is, the vendor accepted our offer because we could move quickly because our buyer is a first-timer. It was hell selling our house and we won't get another buyer.

Bastards.

financialwizard Tue 04-Sep-12 16:57:23

Oh god I feel your pain. Although I am still waiting to exchange after the buyers wanted a damp report doing for some very minor damp in the lounge by the french doors. I am more than happy to pay for it (got the quote today) as long as they exchange this week and move to complete in 2 weeks. Am feeling incredibly stressed now.

Fizzylemonade Tue 04-Sep-12 17:03:42

Not ideal but this is what we did, we were absolutely desperate to move and had a cash buyer, so we exchanged with them on a Wednesday at 4.45pm (it was planned to exchange the week before but it got delayed) and we moved out 2 days later on the Friday. We actually at the time of exchange had nowhere to go to.

Pickfords put all our stuff into storage. We needed 2 vans as the crates aren't as big as the van blush we moved from a 3 bed house.

Luckily we exchanged on this house on the Thursday in between the exchange and completion of the old house. The vendors here wanted to move into rented as they were relocating and she was 6 months pregnant.

They asked for and were granted a 3 week window between exchange and completion.

So we moved into a very nice hotel for 3 weeks. Me, DH and two children aged 3 and 7 at the time in one hotel room. It was not ideal but to be honest my Mum died 2 weeks before we moved out of the old house and we buried her on the Tuesday of the week we moved. It is all a bit of a blur but we survived.

We went into a hotel as we just ran out of time to organise anything, there were no holiday lets or any properties that would rent to us for 1 month. Plus I had to get ds1 to school each day and ds2 to nursery for some normality.

It cost £2k to stay in the hotel but it was worth every penny to get out of the other house. We are now in our forever house and I couldn't be happier.

openerofjars Tue 04-Sep-12 19:34:43

Well, DM will have me and the DC (she'd have DH but he has to be closer to work!). I will drive DS to nursery and back (1.5 hours each way). We will see DH at weekends at his Dad's house. For a few weeks.

I will kill the vendors if they make us homeless and renege on the contracts.

This is so shit.

Fizzylemonade that sounds hellish! Like the idea of a hotel, though, but not under those circumstances. We can't afford it, so bunking in with the rents it is.

Don't get me wrong: it will be nice to stay with parents for a while but we will be apart and we will miss each other so much.

Plus, there is the added expense of putting our lives into storage ad the hassle of not having our stuff, living out of boxes etc.

I hope the vendors are happy with themselves. I hope they are sleeping well tonight I hope they get verrucas

goldnikcname Tue 04-Sep-12 21:36:07

No helpful advice I'm afraid, just have my fingers crossed for you.

Can we set up www.ratemysolicitors.com? Doctors and teacher have them! We have choice with solicitors but how do you pick a reliable one who follows though? Mine appears to be genetically incapable to attaching emails. She says she has, but she hasn't. Also takes it personally when after 4 tries I ask for a hard copy...again.sad

openerofjars Wed 05-Sep-12 00:48:52

Thanks all. I really appreciate being able to come on here and let off steam a bit, so I don't scream in real life in front of the DC or at my solicitor.

Wish me luck for tomorrow when the solicitor will get back to me to see whether our buyers can possibly hang on for a bit longer so as to minimise the time that we spend with no fixed abode.

It is daunting but I am going to focus on not freaking DS out by panicking, and by selling it to him as a great big adventure holiday at Grandma's house. He will miss DH as will I but at least 13wo DD is too little to be much affected by it all.

We got shitloads of packing done tonight and we are going to try and exchange at both ends so at least if the vendors stiff us they will owe us a lot of money. And we will have no mortgage to pay for a bit, a great big deposit from selling up and I'm on mat leave so don't have to try and juggle it with work.

DM and all the other grandparents are really looking after us and DH is very level headed and calm (I am a bit of a wreck!).

The admin of it all is making me quake in my shoes a wee bit, though...

bumbez Wed 05-Sep-12 10:30:01

I feel your pain too, we are still waiting to exchange and can't till the tenants move out of our forever house - next Monday!

We were hoping to complete end of September but folke at the bottom want Monday 1st October - I'm leaving for London that evening and flying to Crete Tuesday.

We have said no to this request but are having second thoughts Dh has 1st week of October off any way to look after Dc so maybe we just should.

I just feel really bad leaving him to cope with every thing and will miss the excitement of uncorking the champers and sorting everything out.

I really dont feel like going away but this holiday has been 3 years in the planning and I can't let my friends down!

Definitely push for exchange on your forever home Op they really should have sorted out accommodation sooner. Good luck smile

openerofjars Wed 05-Sep-12 13:28:27

I know, I mean who accepts an offer with a view to not moving out if it doesn't suit them?

confused

Wish I was going on holiday, it sounds ace! envy. Your DH is awesome (to be fair, so is mine, but am I going to Crete? ). Just come back to a lovely new home with all the unpacking done! Might as well dream here as in bed...

openerofjars Thu 06-Sep-12 18:30:56

We have completion dates! Note the plural. grin

We are moving out on the 17th September and in on the 8th October, with a lovely 3 week holiday in between. Our vendors have also said that they will complete earlier if they can.

DH is not happy about the costs we will incur but he hac backed down from "I'm not paying another penny" and is prepared to go with the situation as it is.

I have aged ten years in three days.

bumbez Thu 06-Sep-12 18:59:19

yay glad it's all coming together

Tell me about the ageing I feel like I should miss out the next house entirely and head straight for a bungalow grin

Where will you go for 3 weeks?

It's starting to come together for us too
We have heard that we can complete 25th September, apparently people at the bottom of the chain are pushing for ASAP, it's bloody chinese whispers.

Slight niggle is that HSBC lawyers are concerned about illegal driveway- ie the kerb hasn't been dropped it just has one of those metal step things. It's clearly been like that for years and we don't care! Fat chance the car is going in the garage in any case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now