Advanced search

Advice needed on application for granny annex....

(7 Posts)
Sunnydaymum Sun 12-Aug-12 20:26:59

Can anyone help me to understand the nightmare that our planning application is turning into?

In a (large!) nutshell - We would like to convert a detached garage/office into a granny annex for my DM to live in. We have approached the council on two occasions (for informal advice) and we always leave with more questions than answers!!

Our understanding is that we need to apply for a "Change of Use" (via planning permission?) but we are not sure what this actually means (other than the obvious!). Does that mean that once we have the permission on the building we can then do what we like with it i.e. extend it or add other features?

We have also been told that we would not be given permission for a residential property (as we fall outside of the urban boundary) but we could apply for ancillary building but we would not be able to have a kitchen as the building would need to be dependent on the main dwelling (i.e. our house).

We are completely mind boggled as basically we would like a nice dwelling for my DM to live in (the outbuilding as it is in not quite big enough) but have no idea the best way to achieve this.

hanahsaunt Sun 12-Aug-12 20:34:46

We are buying a house with such an annexe. It needs both planning permission and building regs. In order for subsequent purchasers of your property not to attract a second lot of council tax, it needs to be dependant on the main house i.e. not have a kitchen. It can still have a kettle and a toaster for early mornings but otherwise can have bedroom/sitting room/bathroom. HTH.

yodpet Wed 15-May-13 07:57:21

Has any one answer my question yet?

ajandjjmum Wed 15-May-13 07:59:57

Have you got an architect involved? From our experience, they should know what is acceptable, and help you come up with a scheme that will suit you and planning.

wendybird77 Wed 15-May-13 15:56:43

We bought a house with an annex, the planning permission is for a 'garden room' and passed building regs, etc. It was done via an architect - just is just a converted double detached garage, no extension. There is no gas, but the electricity meter was dug through the drive and put in the house - maybe as a way to keep the annex dependent on the main house? it does have a kitchen, shower room, lounge and bedroom. It has not attracted its own council tax, but I suspect that is because it is a 'garden room'.

wonkylegs Wed 15-May-13 19:32:52

Have a chat with an architect they should be able to point you in the right direction - the Royal Institute of British Architects are running tea with an architect this year. Where you can come along and have an informal chat with an architect. They also run a similar scheme called Architect in the House where you get an hours consultation in exchange for a donation to the homeless charity Shelter.
I'm doing a couple of sessions at out events, held in Barker & Stonehouse stores but they are in all sorts of places in the UK. Check out the website for details.

Plumpcious Thu 16-May-13 14:08:19

Is yodpet the OP or on the wrong thread?

You'll need two lots of planning permission (although I think sometimes they can be covered within a single planning application, rather than two):

1. 'Change of use' to let you change the use of the building from a garage.

2. Planning permission for the new internal layout of the building and any extension. Normally that would cover room sizes being above the minimum standards; satisfactory daylight into the rooms; not overlooking other properties etc. Your local authority will have planning regulations that will set out the minimum requirements for residential buildings but as your building won't be 'residential' I'm not sure what, if any, standards would apply, ie does a bedroom in an 'ancillary' building still have to meet the same standards as a bedroom in a 'residential' building?

The reason they want to keep the building dependent on the main house is probably to prevent you (or anyone else) from creating a self-contained property that can become a stand-alone house and basically get around their controls for building new residential in rural areas.

Try the Planning Portal for basic information:

Your local authority will probably have their planning policies on their website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: