Talk

Advanced search

Ikea Domsjo Sink - does yours lose water slowly down the plug?

(8 Posts)
DueInSeptember Sun 12-Aug-12 20:08:31

Having a bit of a problem with my ikea sink, I love it but it loses water down the plug hole very slowly.

Was just wondering if anyone has the same issue, what can be done about it?

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 13-Aug-12 09:02:04

Not with an IKEA sink, but I did have this with a metal Franke one. It seemed the rubber finger bits on the bottom of the plug meant it didn't fit solidly. I swapped plugs and then it was fine.

Question on the Domsjo though as I'm thinking of it - is the bottom of the sink properly sloped so that it drains well?

Same problem with a Franke one here. But I don't actually normal store a sinkful of water.

DueInSeptember Mon 13-Aug-12 09:26:20

Thanks, just had a look at the sink and the bottom of the sink is fairly square and not curved, but it does drain well though. It's a lovely sink.

I'm getting my kitchen fitter back soon so I'll ask him then to look at it, but I noticed something last night. I don't think it is the actual plug anymore. The plug is curved downwards (like a bowl shape) and the water that collects in there does not leak down. I think it is the metal ring around the waste hole that is the problem now.

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 13-Aug-12 16:49:37

Is it sealed properly? Have you checked under the sink in the cupboard that you're not getting any leaks?

DueInSeptember Tue 14-Aug-12 12:20:58

Thanks betterwhen, it's not leaking underneath and all seems to be flowing through the correct pipe. I'm hoping the fitter will be here on friday and he can take a look at it. Think it probably needs a bit of sealant and tightening.

diythehardway Sun 23-Dec-12 12:51:15

Hi there,
Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem?
Mine was doing exactly the same, i came to the conclusion that it was the crappy seal underneath the plughole (not the strainer bit) the white foam piece that goes between the seal and the metal plughole.
I just wondered if you sought professional advice and if they picked up the same thing? if so what did they do to remedy this?
Ive just taken my plumbing out and so was just wondering if there was a simple alternative/solution?

Thanks

mrsmandm Mon 24-Dec-12 02:50:54

We had that problem with that ikeasink in our old house, replaced the plug and it was fine - try it before you spend any money on plumbers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now