Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone live in Didcot?

(9 Posts)
AmethystMoon Wed 01-Aug-12 12:42:56

We need to move to south Oxfordshire soon and I wondered what didcot is like? Is is predominantly families or a commuter area? The houses seem to be very good VFM but I almost think too good....what's the catch? I know there's the power station but some of that is due to be decommissioned as I understand it. Any views or advice great fully received.

Kladdkaka Wed 01-Aug-12 22:45:21

My uncle used to live in Didcot. As far as I could tell, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just a bit ... bland.

AmethystMoon Thu 02-Aug-12 08:04:19

Anyone else?

RCheshire Thu 02-Aug-12 08:17:35

Many nice villages within a 20 min drive, but no doubt more expensive.

Didcot has good schools and good facilities, but depends how snobby you are and where you're moving from. To generalise horribly it is a little bit chavvier than some of the other places in s oxon, hence the lower property prices. Some of the near by villages like east hagbourne are actually very sweet, but not easy to get property there. You also have a lot of power lines running overhead because if the power station and this might be an issue for you, it was for me.

Feel free to ask me more if you want

Hth

AmethystMoon Thu 02-Aug-12 21:46:31

Thank you makescakes I might come back to you when I've started properly house hunting smile

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Aug-12 22:00:58

I guess an issue for the next couple of years is theres another lot of new housing going up, so school places might be very tight again, till school building catches up.

My parents live (and I grew up) not far away at all, but Didcot has quadrupled in size since I was a child, wheras there has been little new building elsewhere locally.

Sinkingfeeling Thu 02-Aug-12 23:26:03

Schools are generally thought to be good in Didcot, but state secondaries are single sex (Didcot Girls - has a great, quite new head teacher) and St Birinus for boys, which might be an issue for you. They're the only single-sex schools in Oxon as far as I know. Other good things about Didcot - good train service to Oxford/London, and good local facilities (cinema, nice swimming pool etc.)d

Alistiki Fri 05-Oct-12 07:40:34

I've lived in Didcot for 3 years and absolutely loved it it's the best place to be a mum everything is accesssible by foot - the main shopping street/ cinema area is all pedestrianised great for children to run around. Great train connections - only slight down side is the restaurant and cafe choice is poor but with 3 children centres in the town you will have a busy schedule for your little ones! In fact I miss it so much that I have set up with a friend a new facebook group for Mums in Didcot - it's a closed group for mums only to share experiences, discuss events in Didcot, etc.. so if you want to talk there - it's very new but please join and invite your friends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mumsindidcot/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hope you have settled down well in Didcot - I was in the opposite situation I had to move very far in August and I am still heartbroken about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now