Talk

Advanced search

Question about cheaper areas of Horsham

(13 Posts)
proteins Fri 20-Jul-12 11:50:26

We're seriously considering moving to Horsham, for the commute to London and good primary schools. But properties seem expensive, especially around Hoesham Park and the Trafalgar Infant School.

Does anyone have anything to say (either positives or negatives) about the Needles estate, or about Arunside Primary?

I see that there is a big proposal to build new affordable housing in West Horsham to link up Broadbridge Heath and the town, wouldn't that be quite near the Horsham Sewage Treatment and the floodplains?

Finally, what to people think of the plans for extending Tanbridge Secondary and Arunside Primary?

NicholasTeakozy Fri 20-Jul-12 13:13:43

Have you thought about Littlehaven, which has a mainline station with direct trains to London? I lived there for a while and found it had a nice 'community' feel to it.

proteins Fri 20-Jul-12 13:18:49

Yes, we viewed a lovely place on Lime Avenue. But friends have been telling us to avoid the Roffey area. Thanks for the suggestion!

proteins Fri 20-Jul-12 13:45:47

NicholasTeakozy, did you live North or South of the station? I liked LittleHaven when we went there, as you said it had a nice feel to it.

NicholasTeakozy Fri 20-Jul-12 14:36:14

I was by the Fountain pub, so just south of the station. That they seem to shut the level crossing 2 or 3 minutes before a train is due made the morning run to get the London bound train interesting.

What I liked about Horsham were the amount of things to do. The park is huge, the leisure centre pretty good, there's a good theatre, good pubs and only one tiny indoor shopping mall. It feels like a small town should. Go to the market on Saturday, just to get a burger from the butcher on the market. You'll find them right outside McDonalds. grin

What I couldn't get used to is that the entire town centre shuts at about 6pm, and it goes eerily quiet.

proteins Fri 20-Jul-12 15:24:19

I like Horsham too, from what I've seen of it. Nice park and the parents there seem inclined to chat. There is a fishmonger now as well as the butcher you mentioned. They had hung up some birds there once, and I mentioned to my husband they had "strung up peasants." He was like shock

When I first arrived in this country, I got all dressed up prepared to do some serious shopping in the evening. Got to town (Colchester) just in time to see people pulling down the metal shutters.. I thought maybe they had some sort of curfew!

Lulabellarama Fri 20-Jul-12 16:57:26

Hi, we've just moved to Horsham for the reasons you mention. DH finds the journey easier than from West London. I'm getting to know the town and really like it. Its lonely atm as I dont know anyone yet butIi definitely recommend it.
We're east of the station and the property is quite reasonable, We're in catchment for Kingslea.

badgerhead Sun 22-Jul-12 15:35:05

Hi, I am a long term resident of Horsham, really a local as brought up in one of the surrounding villages & now live in the town. I am also a registered childminder who covers Kingslea School. I would say that there are no bad schools in the town, in fact two of my minded children are starting Arunside in September and are really looking forward to it. With regards to the cheaper area I would say the newer houses off Hills Farm Lane rather than the original part of the Needles Estate, although it has improved a lot in recent years. Most of Roffey is fine but I would avoid Lime Avenue & its immediate area. The area I live in east of the station is lovely with a mixture of housing stock so you can get some reasonably priced houses virtually everywhere in the town, except probably the areas around Trafalgar School, Holbrook School & All Saints Schools which are more pricey. Horsham Station is just coming to the end of a major refurbishment and the journey to London is good. The town centre shops do close early, but the East Street area is more lively in the evening as that is where most of the restaurants are situated, of which there is a wide range.
If you want to know more please ask.

proteins Mon 23-Jul-12 09:37:16

Hello Lulabellarama, badgerhead,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Mumsnet is so useful, my husband works at Horsham and I've been begging him to "ask the hairdresser, the office cleaner.. ask anyone!"

The east of the station does sound good, we haven't viewed anything there yet. The last few ones within our budget went too quickly. There are lots of good anecdotes about Kingslea aren't there?

badgerhead, your reply was very reassuring. I have been thinking about upping the budget, but deep in the heart of hearts, I know it would stretch us a little too much. Our son is only 2, but we're keeping the schools in consideration. There has been good reviews about Trafalgar, but it's probably a little our of our reach.

In the meantime, I wonder if you know anything about the Little Monkey's nursery near the park?

badgerhead Mon 23-Jul-12 20:32:18

Hi Proteins

I know someone who works there, but don't know what she thinks of it. It has an ok reputation, there are worse & better nurseries in the town, however there a lot of good & outstanding childminders in the town so have you considered one of us, lol!

Badgerhead

proteins Tue 24-Jul-12 12:31:37

hello badgerhead,

No I didn't consider a childminder, my son is in full time nursery now and I thought I would continue the trend.

But after your reply, I did look on Childminder website, there does seem to be very many good options. I'll keep it in mind, thanks very much.

SuperheroTV Mon 17-Mar-14 17:57:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

caggy123 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:28:28

Hello everyone, this is a long shot as I know this thread is rather old however we are also considering a move to Horsham and are on a budget as I will be staying at home with the kids for a couple of years and therefore we will have one salary. We have found a really lovely house on Granary Close, which forms part of the Needles estate but is a more recent build town house. I know nothing about the area and have posted a similar post on a Horsham facebook page with one person coming back to say that while she felt there were no bad areas as such in Horsham, the Needles estate area could have a bit of a bad 'stigma' attached to it. My daughter is due to start primary sep 2017 so schools are very important, any thoughts would be most helpful????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now