Talk

Advanced search

Hello Glaswegians, any ideas on where to live in Glasgow?

(40 Posts)
Itchywoolyjumper Mon 16-Jul-12 18:43:40

We're hoping to relocate to Glasgow. We'll be renting when we get there first and our budget would be around £700/800 per month. We've got one DS who is 2 and plan for an other wee one soonish. We need at least 2 bedrooms and ideally we'd like a house with a garden.
I've had a scout about on S1 Homes and most of the places that fit our budget and criteria seem to be in the Parkhouse, Thornliebank, Crookston areas. I also saw a couple in Lenzie and Newton Mearns
I've lived in Glasgow when I was young, footloose and fancy free and I loved it but obviously now that I've got a family and a proper(ish) job I'm looking for something different. I also don't know the Southside or much outside the centre at all.

What are these areas like for families? Are they safe and are they handy for the shops and the buses etc. Any idea what the schools are like?

7to25 Mon 16-Jul-12 19:52:09

How about Bearsden?
there is not much to rent but a couple of things fit your budget. Don't forget Rightmove as well as S1
All the schools are good and the whole place is set up for families. secondary schooling is also excellent. The west end and central Glasgow are easily accessed and the place is safe, leafy and low crime. Also excellent access to the countryside.

SunnyOutlook Mon 16-Jul-12 20:03:45

If its the southside you fancy, have a look at Newton Mearns, Clarkston and Williamwood. All very nice and great schools and nurseries.

tricot39 Mon 16-Jul-12 20:26:46

Don't know the areas but from my research on secondary schools Newton Mearns has one of the best schools in Scotland!

Itchywoolyjumper Mon 16-Jul-12 21:20:56

Thanks, folks, I'll have a wee look at those smile

DamselInDisgrace Mon 16-Jul-12 21:23:16

Try Eaglesham or busby for the same schools as Newton means and clarkston, but cheaper houses. Eaglesham is a village. Very family friendly. Community spirit and all that. Very safe. Buses into Glasgow. Busby has a train station. Waterfoot is a smaller village between clarkston and Eaglesham, but it doesn't have any shops.

DamselInDisgrace Mon 16-Jul-12 21:25:13

Means castle and williamwood schools are excellent. Primaries also great. Eaglesham has a primary and kids get bused to means castle. I think the kids from busby primary now go to williamwood.

mum23girlys Mon 16-Jul-12 21:39:32

I grew up in Newton Mearns and a lot of my family still live there. The schools are excellent. Mearns Castle is one of the top secondary schools in Scotland. There is also a shopping centre and good bus and train links into the city.

DamselInDisgrace Mon 16-Jul-12 21:44:07

There are two schools in mearns. Mearns castle and Eastwood. Mearns castle is the better school.

7to25 Mon 16-Jul-12 22:12:03

Agree with the other posters that Newton Mearns is a good choice.
Where are you moving from and do you want somewhere similar?

Itchywoolyjumper Tue 17-Jul-12 08:31:18

We're currently in South London and so far it looks like we're going to get a lot nicer for a lot less and be much closer to our families smile

TommeeTipsy Tue 17-Jul-12 15:29:09

Newton Mearns is awful. I lived there as a teenager. There's nothing to do and the majority of folk are totally up their own arses. I've never lived anywhere so narrow minded in my life.

Mearns castle high school looks great on paper but if your children are not academic in the sense that they'll get 5 highers at A grade and become a doctor then the teachers are not interested.

My nephew has dyspraxia and he was treated terribly at MCHS. They tried to get him to leave after standard grades as they didn't think and I quote that "he was up to much". My sister in law fought for years to get him treated fairly by the school.

OP please don't inflict death by bungalow land on your dc's.

DamselInDisgrace Tue 17-Jul-12 18:42:48

I agree that MCHS probably isn't the best for non-academic kids. I was very academic, but it was obvious they didn't really care much about the kids that weren't.

In contrast to TommyTipsy's loathing of mearns, loads of people who grew up in Eaglesham loved it there and I know loads of people who moved back there when they 'grew up' and wanted to have kids, etc.

xkittyx Tue 17-Jul-12 19:25:49

Giffnock might be another nice area to consider?
Thornliebank has lovely bits and not-so-lovely bits.
North, you could get something quite good for your money in Bishopbriggs.

gingerbubs Tue 17-Jul-12 19:30:01

I grew up in Newton mearns, my parents still live there, and I love it.

TommeeTipsy Tue 17-Jul-12 20:43:25

Eaglesham is great, lots of DH's family live there. Far more down to earth than "the mearns".

DamselInDisgrace Tue 17-Jul-12 21:15:31

Yeah. I'd agree with that. My parents still live in Eaglesham. They love it.

7to25 Wed 18-Jul-12 08:36:38

eaglesham might be a step too far after South London
Bishopbriggs, be careful it isn't "Bishopbriggs"

DamselInDisgrace Wed 18-Jul-12 11:31:06

You'd definitely want a car in eaglesham too. There is a bus service, but you're right at the end of the line. Same with Newton mearns really.

You could try jordanhill on the north side. Would be less of a culture shock than occasionally getting held up by cows crossing the road on the way into eaglesham.

7to25 Wed 18-Jul-12 13:25:51

dear Itchy,
doing a bit of a search and can't find many houses in your price bracket in areas that I would live in.
Couple in Bearsden, main door flat in Anniesland.
Jordanhill has a very popular school and very little to rent. What there is, is way out of your budget.
Houses to rent in Robroyston or Nitshill, I would avoid.
I am not saying that people are not living happily there, but it is different when you are an incomer.
lots of nice flats, of course, in the west end or Shawlands, though these are perhaps more suitable for students or YP's
Be a bit wary about school catchments, even at this early stage.
Where are you working?
Are you wanting to travel back down south or to other destinations in Scotland? This would influence whether you live in the North or South of Glasgow.
That said, Glasgow is a very small city compared to London.
As you probably know, the vast majority of Glaswegians are very friendly and welcoming and I'm sure your move will be a big success.

FaceForRadio Wed 18-Jul-12 13:29:52

If you're looking at Eaglesham then why not try East Kilbride?

SingingSands Wed 18-Jul-12 13:34:24

Bearsden is a very nice area to live and bring up a family, but it is pricey.

If you can afford to buy property there you will find good schools, local amenities, bus and train links to the city. You also have lots of lovely countryside nearby.

I grew up in Bearsden, I was very happy there, my parents were very happy there and I still have family and friends there. However, I'm not sure I could afford to live there nowadays!

7to25 Wed 18-Jul-12 13:37:27

two properties within budget in Bearsden!

YokoOhNo Wed 18-Jul-12 13:40:58

I grew up in Newton Mearns. I do agree - to some extent - with TommyTipsy's view that it can be parochial and a bit boring, but IMO if you are relocating with a child and the hope of another one,mtters like low crime, nice housing, shopping centres and of course schools are going to be a priority. And schools in East Renfrewshire council area, as opposed to Glasgow City, are generally far better. Giffnock, Clarkston, Newton Mearns, Eaglesham

Newton Mearns is endlessly popular with families. If I was reclocating back again and had my choice, I'd probably try Eagleham for the lovely period houses and countryside on your doorstep (but there's no train station and crap bus links) or Giffnock (easy walk to shops and cafes, great transport links, nearer Glasgow City Centre).

7to25 Wed 18-Jul-12 17:31:41

Sorry, can't find anything to rent in Eaglesham at any price

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now