Talk

Advanced search

Does 16.5k for this kitchen sound a lot?

(26 Posts)
hellostarling Thu 12-Jul-12 14:18:21

Quote includes:
Solid wood painted in frame kitchen (16 units) (7k of quote)
Sinks and taps x 2
Appliances
Worktops (wood and slate)
Fitting
VAT

We LOVE the kitchen. We will probably try to shave some off the sinks/appliances by sourcing them ourselves. I really, really can't face going to get loads more quotes, only to find that we only shave a couple of grand off the cabinetry but 16.5k in total is so, so much more than I had imagined!

CailinDana Thu 12-Jul-12 14:22:44

It totally depends on what quality you want. Is it a bespoke kitchen or a ready made one? Does the price include fitting? For 16k I would expect bespoke cabinets, expert fitting, the whole shebang. Otherwise it's possible to buy for a lot lot less.

Our kitchen (a bog standard but very nice Howdens one) cost about 3k (without fitting) but it would have been possible for us to spend 16k if we had wanted to.

hellostarling Thu 12-Jul-12 14:26:10

Yes - bespoke and fitting included. How many units is your Howdens one?

fedupwithdeployment Thu 12-Jul-12 14:27:38

I would think it would be worth getting quotes from at least one or two places. It does sound a lot compared to the c £3k incl appliances we spent on our Ikea kitchen in our holiday house. And we fitted it ourselves. However the kitchen we have at home probably cost mega bucks (thanks to previous occupants!)

For what it is worth we got 3 quotes for the holiday house (Magnet and another similar place in France). Magnet were about £10k, the French place about £6k and Ikea won. I am sure the quality was very different, but we were happy with the cheapo option!

CailinDana Thu 12-Jul-12 14:30:16

I don't think the 3k included appliances - I think it was about 4.5 k all in (before fitting). That included 11 units, appliances (including dishwasher and drier), laminate worktop, sink and taps, and VAT.

bacon Thu 12-Jul-12 14:30:56

Well I paid £10k for just a few units (second nature oak)- sourced my bespoke worktops myself, all appliances myself. And used a friend to fit. So it sounds fine to me for a quality kitchen.

annalouiseh Thu 12-Jul-12 14:38:01

That sounds about right for an in-frame painted, my dh does kitchens and in-frame are more costly than the lay on doors.
but still shopping around to save a 2k is alot of money.
bare in mind its not just the units that cost - finishing touches such as end panels, cornice and pelmets cost as much as the doors
Alot of people will pay different amounts for the same amount of units off different companies.
there is a vast quality difference on kitchens.
Audi and ford are both cars - 4 wheels, engine etc - same price???? i think not

hellostarling Thu 12-Jul-12 14:50:48

Thanks all...2k is a lot of money and if I thought I could get a comparable kitchen for 2k less I would put in the time (didn't make this clear in my OP) but I went to look at the solid wood in-frame kitchens at B&Q and they were horrible in comparison to this kitchen. I do understand that I could get a vinyl wrapped lay-on door kitchen for less but for the product we want I am starting to think this is actually reasonable? So paying 7k for these units vs 4-5k for cheapo units seems ok to me...it's the rest I hadn't factored in!!

CailinDana Thu 12-Jul-12 15:00:36

If the units are only 7k, is the rest of the stuff overpriced do you think? You could probably cut down a lot on the other costs but it would depend on what you actually want to get.

SwedishEdith Thu 12-Jul-12 15:04:47

John Lewis Clearance sale finishes this weekend. You'll get some fantastic bargains on quality appliances there - and you can haggle.

SwedishEdith Thu 12-Jul-12 15:06:38

Is it also including lots of pull-out and twirly bits? They're expensive but very useful.

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 13-Jul-12 16:29:16

Separate out all the different costs - it will make you feel much better about it.

cupboards 7,000
sinks and taps 1,200 (costs vary enormously here so depends what you have specified
Appliances - again, what do you have? 2 ovens, hob, dishwasher, extractor, microwave, fridge freezer? say 5,000 (could be anywhere 3 - 10 thousand!)
worktops - 2,000?
fitting - 1,500

that comes to £16,700 without the VAT
sounds pretty good for a handmade kitchen

Dollydowser Sun 15-Jul-12 08:36:47

I think its sounds very reasonable, how big is your kitchen?

frostyfingers Sun 15-Jul-12 19:45:58

Depending on where you are I can recommend these people. Good value, solidly made to your measurements and you can either paint them or have them wax finished. www.pineland.co.uk

QueenMaeve Sun 15-Jul-12 21:48:17

For an in frame kitchen I would say that is not a bad price at all

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 16-Jul-12 11:59:34

Frosty - they look good - are the drawers just wooden boxes or do they have metal base runners?

hellostarling Mon 16-Jul-12 14:42:21

Thanks for all the extra comments... haven't been online this weekend.

Kitchen is about 3.5mx3m and price also includes a couple of units in a small utility room.

The more research I do, the more reasonable it sounds for what they are offering...just the whole project is coming in at pretty much twice what I had originally imagined. I may start another thread to ask advice about where MNers would compromise! Cabinets, worktops, appliances, sinks, lighting, flooring, timber french doors etc, etc...! It's so easy to justify an extra £500 here or there to get exactly what you want on each item but it so quickly turns into a good few thousand extra!

frostyfingers Mon 16-Jul-12 16:16:28

It's all wooden, so quite simple which keeps the price down. Fairly traditional and not very adventurous but if you do want simple then I can't fault them. We asked for half width units for a narrow space around our Rayburn and we were charge half price when another company had quoted the same price as for full - little things like that made us happy!

Compromises - we compromised on the worktop - granite effect laminate rather than granite itself, which was a mistake I won't make again! Cheaper units can be made to look good with decent handles and hinges.

VeroVero Thu 19-Jul-12 11:58:40

it is about right for bespoke (made just for you) kitchen, depends also what wood is being used, and what finish. I would recommend sourcing your own appliances or have specify what do you want in terms of brands and sizes.

pb00 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:00:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 07-Oct-17 20:14:34

Doesn't sound bad. We paid more than that but our kitchen had more units, we had granite worktops and island and a utility room made. And all the plumbing of 2 radiators and all electrics and light fittings and flooring. If you have this included it's a great price!

mollifly Sat 07-Oct-17 20:21:29

Is it with wren? If it is, don't touch!

Ttbb Sat 07-Oct-17 20:29:01

A little bit unless there will be things like rewriting, new plumbing, moving gas etc.

WidowTwonky Sat 07-Oct-17 20:43:32

I doubt the OP is still pondering this...5 yrs on

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 07-Oct-17 20:46:58

Oh FGS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now