Talk

Advanced search

any tips on doing your own viewings? What do you look for as a buyer?

(61 Posts)
alicethehorse Sun 08-Jul-12 22:30:05

Got our first viewer coming round tomorrow.

Have you got any tips on showing them round, from a seller's or a buyer's point of view?

All I've got so far is:

- Let them go into rooms first and for me to stay by the door.
- Don't state the blooming obvious ("this is the kitchen, it has an oven" etc).

Any tips gratefully received!

TIA smile

alicethehorse Tue 10-Jul-12 14:22:49

Clever students!

I'm not keen on viewing places with tenants. I know from bitter experience tenants don't always leave when you ask them to!

We've got another two viewings booked for later in the week, so I'm going to use some of the tips here then.

We'll get it down to a fine art eventually!

alicethehorse Tue 10-Jul-12 14:23:50

Rhubarbgarden thanks for your post, made me grin and DP too. And you're right, the most important thing is the flat, not what I do!

alicethehorse Tue 10-Jul-12 17:09:39

OK, so got this feedback, from the second couple:

"The viewer has indicated that they may be interested in pursuing the property further, they are currently deciding between this property and another one that is in a better location for them but doesn't have the space that this one does. They are hoping to come to a decision in the next week or so."

What do you reckon?

frostyfingers Tue 10-Jul-12 17:26:11

Hedging their bets......! There's nothing you can do but keep showing people round, and try not to get too hung up on it. It's so stressful for the first couple of times then you get more relaxed about it. You can't make them choose it, you've done your job by showing them round, just sit back and relax and keep the bottle handy!

alicethehorse Tue 10-Jul-12 17:29:33

Good advice, thanks! smile

oopslateagain Tue 10-Jul-12 20:11:12

That sounds hopeful! Sounds as though, leaving location out of it, they actually prefer your house.

oopslateagain Tue 10-Jul-12 20:11:36

The grammar in that sentence was awful. blush

motherofallhangovers Wed 11-Jul-12 15:58:16

No worries I knew exactly what you meant smile

They've asked for a second viewing, so fingers crossed!

oopslateagain Wed 11-Jul-12 22:21:29

Ooh that is exciting - good luck! smile

motherofallhangovers Sun 15-Jul-12 00:56:37

OK, had 6 viewings now, hopefully getting the hang of it!

The second viewers are still interested but they've got three on their shortlist from what I can gather.

The first couple haven't responded to the EA's follow up email/call so I can only assume they're not interested. (Shame, they were the cash buyers!).

The other 4 came this weekend so have to wait till at least Monday for feedback! One definitely liked it. She was lovely, stayed for ages and talked about how the flat was much bigger than most in the area. Whether that means an offer or not - we'll just have to wait and see! She'll be back for a second look with her mum.

One was too tall for it so we'll count her out! (The ceiling in the kitchen is low and she was as tall as DP - 6'2''!).

The other two couples were really hard to read, they weren't giving anything away! My gut instinct says maybe to one of them and probably not to the other.

motherofallhangovers Sun 15-Jul-12 01:03:23

I accompanied them round once, then let them have a good look on their own.
I reckon I did just as good a job as an EA showing them round! And I was able to answer questions about neighbours and local shops better than any EA would have been able to as they don't live there!

It wasn't slick and professional, but then people don't expect it to be from the owner I don't think.

At one point I meant to say "this is a real granite floor" but what came out was "this is the floor" and then I kind of got stuck! blush Talk about stating the blooming obvious grin
But that was with the really nice lady, she said "um, yes" and found it funny - it was fine. (I did manage to explain what I really actually meant after)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »