Talk

Advanced search

Where to move to in Hertfordshire?

(11 Posts)
francohoops Sun 17-Jun-12 13:27:52

Hi, we are looking to move in the next few months and are keen on Hertfordshire. We are looking to buy, budget is around £375k. We are after a 3 bedroom house.

The areas that we have considered so far include Rickmansworth (lovely but expensive), Croxley Green (seems ok), Kings Langley (see Rickmansworth) and Leavesdon (found a lovely house, but it seems a bit 'remote').

We are reasonably flexible. I work in London so good train links are important. My wife is looking for a 'village' type feel, allow good schools and neighbourhood are crucial.

Can anyone recommend any of the above areas, or suggest alternatives worth considering?

Thanks for your help
F

guineapiglet Sun 17-Jun-12 14:53:34

Try looking at Royston/Meldreth/Melbourn ( techically South Cambs the latter two) but good rail networks, property reasonable and schools excellent in the area. Takes about 50 mins to Kings X if that. We loved it there, and having Cambridge on your doorstep is a real bonus.

swooosh Sun 17-Jun-12 14:56:35

I live in Bishops Stortford. Direct trains into London's Liverpool Street every 30 minutes. It's a nice town, good schools (one private, one boarding + many more)

Well I can vouch for Croxley Green, Kings Langley and Leavesden.

I live in Abbots Langley and it's lovely round here smile Kings Langley is also lush. Chipperfield is gorgeous but expensive but not far from Kings Langley. Leavesden I wouldn't class as remote confused Vair close to Harry Potter experience but then again Abbots Langley is 5 minutes up the road from Leavesden but a nice little High Street of shops.

Come to Abbots Langley/ Hunton Bridge <channels vibes at OP>

BerryCheesecake Sun 17-Jun-12 15:14:52

Hitchin and Letchworth are both nice smile

Kveta Sun 17-Jun-12 15:24:15

another in stortford here - nice town, good transport links (close to airport too, which is handy for travelling!), and close to Cambridge too, which is handy as I work there, and DH works in London.

nbee84 Sun 17-Jun-12 15:46:02

You might find St Albans a bit expensive but on the outskirts is an estate called Ellenbrook - it's more Hatfield than St Albans but has a St Albans address & postcode. There are some nice areas in Hatfield - Garden Village is nice - has an 'old' side and a 'new' side. The trains from Hatfield go into Kings Cross. If you use the tube get off at Finsbury Park and you are straight down the stairs for the Victoria and the Piccadily lines. Getting the tube at Kings Cross involves quite a lot of walking!

FishfingersAreOK Sun 17-Jun-12 20:33:15

How about Baldock? 3 good or excellent primaries and 1 excellent secondary (so if you live in Baldock you are as much as possible guaranteed to get in). Great links to London - either via Baldock or Letchworth rail. Plus A1. Small town but got fab butchers/bakers/restaurants - plus a massive Tescos (though I pop to Letchworth Sainsbury's personally). Lots community going on - classes for all ages, Baldock Festival etc etc - so actually has more of a village feel than the village I lived in previously - get involved or stay out of it - no-one looks askance. In addition when you want a bit bigger Cambridge an easy train journey away (as is London) and Letchworth/Hitchin/Stevenage close by for shopping/cinema/retail park etc. When DC want Saturday jobs or nights out to the cinema we will not have to taxi them - they will be able to walk/train to any number of locations.....Can you tell I love the place?

IvanaHumpalot Fri 22-Jun-12 17:05:02

Have a look at these villages:
Potten End, Nettleden, Frithsden, Great Gaddesden/St Margrets, Little Gaddesden, Ringshall and Aldbury.
They all surround the Ashridge forest. Lovely countryside, village shops, schools and not too far to travel for shopping (Berkhamsted, St Albans, Watford, Milton Keynes). Close to Whipsnade zoo, Ivinghoe Beacon, Rothschild museum in Tring.
www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ashridge/
My DH commutes in from Berkhamsted to Euston/Moorgate in 1hr 10mins (door to door).
I really recommend having a look around here – lovely village pubs for lunch!
www.alfordarmsfrithsden.co.uk/
greyhoundaldbury.co.uk/
www.valianttrooper.co.uk/

LaurieFairyCake Fri 22-Jun-12 17:10:59

Berkhamsted - really lovely. You will get a nice house for that very close to the station like this one

IVYWILLOW22 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:10:50

What is Abbots Langley and Kings Langley like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now