Talk

Advanced search

Painting furniture with Annie Sloan paint or other

(13 Posts)
MarySA Fri 15-Jun-12 20:12:57

I've been reading about painting furniture and would like to have a go at painting a table and chairs. I've heard about this Annie Sloan paint that is supposed to be good for this but the nearest stockist is miles away. Before I make the trek I was wondering if anybody has any experience of this paint or has used other paint to paint old furniture. And could recommend a paint. Thanks very much.

discrete Fri 15-Jun-12 20:16:08

What effect are you looking for?

There are loads of paints that are suitable for furniture! For a table and chairs you just need something reasonably hard wearing.

MarySA Fri 15-Jun-12 20:21:30

I'm only looking for a normal effect. But that I mean not distressed or anything! It's a pine table and chairs really solid but very scruffy looking now I think. Wasn't sure whether gloss or matt. And there's so many paints. I was thinking of a cream or off white shade.

devonsmummy Fri 15-Jun-12 20:25:15

Hi I've just started painting old furniture & know a few people who do too.
You need an eggshell acrylic which looks good and is wipeable.
I personally use 1829 paint (this is it's name) and go for chalk white

MarySA Fri 15-Jun-12 20:28:20

That's a great help devonsmummy. I didn't know whether matt, gloss or what. Thanks.

AgnesBligg Fri 15-Jun-12 22:57:30

I rather dislike eggshell paint so I use emulsion (often unused F&b testers) and apply to sanded unprimed wood in a few layers, about 3 probably. , I finished with beeswax furniture stuff. I love the finish and find it very hard wearing - even in my bathroom I;ve hand painted cabinets and it all wipes down fine.

OhGood Tue 19-Jun-12 16:21:18

The people who paint furniture down the road from me started using F&B but have moved to Annie Sloan because they reckon it goes on better, stays put better and gives a better effect - flatter and more chalky, iykwim. So I reckon it's worth the trek!

Maryvivienne Tue 19-Jun-12 17:45:37

I'm the original poster (I've name changed to avoid confusion with someone else.) But I did get a tin of the Annie Sloan paint at the weekend. Tried it on a chair and the colour is lovely. Old white. The only thing is it's not gone on as smooth as I'd thought it would and you can see every brush mark. I'm going to try a small roller. I wanted a smooth finish rather than this distressed look. But it's probably a matter of trial and error to get the right finish. I've got the wax too. Looking forward to doing that but I might do another coat first.

walkingcarefully Tue 19-Jun-12 17:54:07

I have just finished painting my kitchen cupboard doors with AS paint and it looks flippin' great.

To get the brush marks out, go over the first coat with fine wire wool or fine sandpaper then do a second coat and add water to the paint.
Cover with a couple of coats thin of AS soft wax.

I love this paint as it is so easy to use and the wax finish dries to an almost matt but is very tough.

Maryvivienne Tue 19-Jun-12 18:42:24

Thanks very much walkingcarefully. I'll definitely try that. Wickes tomorrow for steel wool.

Maryvivienne Tue 19-Jun-12 18:45:39

I'm assuming steel wool is the same as wire wool. I have been thinking for ages about doing my kitchen cupboards. Better not get too ambitious!

walkingcarefully Tue 19-Jun-12 18:52:21

The wire wool is the finest grade - 0000, I think. It was easier than fine sandpaper as the paint is so chalky that it is easy to sand too much, I found.

The cupboard doors were 8 years old and a metallic grey. I painted them in a day with the Aubudon blue then wiped them with some dark polish. They look all Gothic and gorgeous.

yelloowqueen Wed 16-Dec-15 07:29:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now