Talk

Advanced search

Bathrooms without windows - OK to live with, or not?

(38 Posts)
Springforward Sun 20-May-12 19:26:57

We've seen a house - not a love affair, more of a least worst option IYSWIM - and as this yes-or-no will be a head not heart decision, I would appreciate the collected wisdom of Mumsnet.

So....

Internal bathroom with extractor fan but no window or natural light. Normal, or nightmare?

sooperdooper Sun 20-May-12 19:30:30

It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker on it's own, but would prefer a window tbh

hambo Sun 20-May-12 19:31:32

have one wth no wndow but bg mirror....it is o and you forget actually, but would prefer a wndow!

urbanewarrior Sun 20-May-12 19:32:12

Have lived in a couple of places like this. Need to make sure extractor fan is effective or you get mould. Other than that there may be options for adding light if you're desperate to - either one of those sun tubes or we put a velux in the roof above when we were having it replaced and then have skylight in bathroom ceiling with obscured perspex.

Most hotel bathrooms don't have external windows - worth looking at those for ideas.

RandomMess Sun 20-May-12 19:32:55

Same as Sooperdooper not a deal breaker - far worse things to put up with.

Friend has some glass bricks between one of the bedrooms and bathroom with a blind in the bedroom to stop light disturbing during the night.

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 20-May-12 19:33:41

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would prefer a window and some good light

Springforward Sun 20-May-12 19:53:12

Thanks all. Urbane, did you get a sun tube? Wondered how good it was, in practice.

Waswondering Sun 20-May-12 19:54:45

Had this in last house - it was ok but we had a wall to wall mirror which tricked you into doubling the size of theroom and increasing the light.

vj32 Sun 20-May-12 19:55:30

I hated this when we lived in a flat. I like reading in the bath (or did before ds!) and don't like artificial light when its daytime. Think its sort of confusing. Kind of irrational but.

urbanewarrior Sun 20-May-12 20:49:32

We didn't get tube - roof needed replacing anyway so velux was actually cheaper. But friends have one. Doesn't exactly flood bathroom with light - But with light over mirror is v nice. Amazing difference small amount of sunlight makes. But you can also get that little bit with borrowed light over door (and much cheaper than tube). Or glass bricks as someone suggested (sorry am on phone so can't check posters names easily)

Ventilation is more important though so damp doesn't hang about.

bigTillyMint Sun 20-May-12 20:53:02

My BF's downstairs bathroom effectively has no window (apart from a horizontal slit one near the ceiling) - It is a gorgeous, very modern bathroom with just the normal halogen lights and it is not a problem at all.

Actually, thinking about it, most hotel bathrooms don't have windows, and they can be really lush too.

AllPastYears Sun 20-May-12 20:59:53

We have no window but do have a skylight, it's fine. Large mirror tiles on one wall. Previously we had a windowless bathroom and put a large mirror on one wall. Thinking about it, previous to that we rented a grotty tiny flat with a windowless bathroom and no large mirror. So I have lived with windowless bathrooms for 20 years! Never been an issue, and certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

AllPastYears Sun 20-May-12 21:01:23

Oh, I'm digging deeper now. Previous to that, I shared a flat with a windowless bathroom, and previous to that I had a bedsit with a windowless shower room. Make that 22 years!

Springforward Sun 20-May-12 21:41:58

Hmm. We could save up for several years and really splash out on a high-end hotel-type suite, I guess....

bigTillyMint Sun 20-May-12 21:44:01

It's not that expensive to do your bathroom out nicely if you shop aroundwink

Devora Mon 21-May-12 01:17:12

It's not great but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

When I had a windowless bathroom I abandoned all attempts to make it light and airy, and instead painted it a deep strong colour all over (including ceiling) with a huge ornate mirror - kind of baroque boudoir. Think of how you can make it look so dramatic and different you don't notice the lack of light - paint it in F&B Downpipe (dark grey), with acid yellow metro tiles?

perfumedlife Mon 21-May-12 01:28:26

I must be odd. I prefer a bathroom with no window, all womb like and cosy. I even suggested to Dh we brick over our two 8ft high bathroom windows.

vivandtom Mon 21-May-12 09:45:10

Would be a dealbreaker for me.

Smells, condensation, noisy fans, no natural light, no fresh air - builders always do this in new builds - saving money and building in long-term damp problems.

Don't have one if you can avoid it.

Devora Mon 21-May-12 09:45:19

grin I am loving the idea of perfumedlife bricking up her windows to create a bathcave grin

ebbandflow Mon 21-May-12 09:49:30

I don't like the humid feeling to bathrooms without a window. Deal breaker if it is not a particularly wow factor house.

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 21-May-12 09:51:37

Our en suite bathroom is windowless. Not a problem for us, it has an amazing extractor fan and after 3 years not a hint of mould.

We have a huge mirror and the Walls are White, it's a big bathroom so it's light and airy. It's very hotel like actually.

Only thing I do make sure of is that I check my make up in another room before leaving the house! I apply it in our bathroom but prefer to check again in natural light just incase I look too orange/missed a bit etc grin

seeingstars Mon 21-May-12 09:52:29

We don't have a window in our bathroom, thing its is common in NB houses. Not a problem as has extractor fan.

ToryLovell Mon 21-May-12 09:53:58

We've got a bathroom wtih a window and one without. I prefer the one without tbh, it feels more private and cosy.

MousyMouse Mon 21-May-12 09:55:59

yes to big mirrow.
make sure you get the most efficient and quiet extractor fan you can get.
if possible put it on a timer so that it also can run without the light on.
we have led lights on the mirrow, which give a really good light for make-up.

GrendelsMum Mon 21-May-12 12:41:20

Didn't someone say on here the other day that in some European countries (think it was Holland, actually) they thought that bathrooms with windows was a sign of bad layout?

FWIW, we have two internal bathrooms, and jolly nice they are too - a sort of hotel bathroom aesthetic. We're going to have extractor fans triggered on humidity rather than via the light switch, so that they only run when you're showering etc, rather than when you pop in to pick up something you've forgotten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now