Talk

Advanced search

1960s-style Modernist kitchens: anyone used Newkitchens.co.uk?

(17 Posts)
KandyBarr Tue 01-May-12 11:20:48

Hi there, I'm new to these boards, and wonder if anyone can offer any experience of this bespoke company? They have exactly the kind of kitchen I'm looking for, and they claim to have 30 years in business, but I can't find any references. Any experiences welcome.

I'm after a 60s style kitchen - the one I love is here. If anyone has seen anything similar I'd really appreciate a link - I'm struggling a bit. Thanks in advance.

onesandwichshort Tue 01-May-12 12:15:46

I can't help I'm afraid but that is a very lovely kitchen indeed and I have bookmarked it for my -currently entirely fictional- brand new kitchen.

I shall watch this with interest to see if anyone does recommend them. Have you had a quote from them, and if so how did it stack up?

KandyBarr Tue 01-May-12 12:44:12

Thanks - glad you like it too! No, I haven't approached them yet. I'm a bit reluctant to book design visits and so on without any sort of recommendation.

sh77 Tue 01-May-12 15:30:18

Ooh gorgeous. Do you know what their prices ate like?

KandyBarr Tue 01-May-12 16:35:05

Not sure, but given that they make them to order them I suspect they're on the expensive side!

annalouiseh Tue 01-May-12 18:26:09

Hi KandyBarr

They shouldn't be that expensive as the 'bespoke' doors they offer are the 3d edged acrylic layover doors or vinyl doors on the more modern front. there more made to measure than bespoke.
The door your looking at is called 'Zurfiz' from BA.
http://www.byba.co.uk/
The doors are upper lower to mid range of Market and the Acrylic ones aint that bad.. we have seen them.
People in the kitchen world use the terms bespoke to loosely.
Depending what level of kitchen your after a 'bespoke company' would do you these doors spray painted and in a Lacquer matt or gloss and finished around the edges and also could offer this in many handleless options as well as slab.
These doors have the pvc edge, a less expensive way to produce the door so sizes.

Hope this helps

jeanjeannie Tue 01-May-12 18:39:48

I've had a look and I'm just a bit confused by this company. It seems that they're an outlet maybe for Charisma kitchens - on which there seems to be very little online about. It seems to be a factory in Sheffield - where the online company you linked to is near to. And there seems to be some sort of showroom connected to the company that runs the website...so in theory you could see the stuff if you live near.

All maybe fine but I agree with annalouiseh in that 'bespoke' is a very lose term!

I can find the VAT and company details of the website people (just over a year old) but I can't find any trace of a mention of the business side of the factory. Not sure I'd take a punt unless I got clarification as to who my contract was with if things were to go wrong or you weren't happy! You'd also need to know who the fitters were? Are they just contracting it out to the highest bidder but giving you the impression that they work for them or do they employ their own team. I know a lovely Mnetter who has just had this problem come and bite her on the bum when something did go wrong sad

Looks lovely though! Sorry if I'm being cautious - DH is a builder and he sighs at some of the stuff he gets asked to look at after people have spent a small fortune on kitchens and bathrooms.

KandyBarr Tue 01-May-12 18:55:24

Thanks anna and jean - I'm so grateful for your insiders' advice. I think I'll give it a miss based on what you've said. I'll approach some bespoke companies down here in London (we're nowhere near Sheffield, which also complicates things). It's the colour I really like as much as the handle-less style.

annalouiseh Tue 01-May-12 19:04:08

I wasnt trying to put you off.
It just my dh's trade and he knows most companies source just by looking at there site.

jeanjeannie Tue 01-May-12 19:14:44

Oh like Anna I wasn't putting you off but (and for me it's a big but) I think it's nice to actually see the goods! Start looking around nearer home - and I bet you'll be amazed at what you can find. But always make sure you know who's fitting it and if it's through a company that you've bought the kitchen off - be sure that you double check who is responsible if you're not satisfied or how long the guarentee of work is for. Have fun looking smile

fossil97 Tue 01-May-12 21:11:07

I thought that website looked a little dubious as well.

If you go on the Byba website anna linked to, they have a list of all their dealers, there are loads (including Sheffield) you could probably find one near you with a real life shop, even a small one, and get a recommendation or testimonial (i.e. speak to previous customers). You would get the same product but with more assurance.

That light blue looks really great BTW.

NewKitchens Sat 15-Jun-13 17:40:28

Message withdrawn

Blu Sun 16-Jun-13 14:17:20

I like the sound of the kitchen the OP was after - but the link is out of date now (old thread). Edward - can you link to the kitchen she might have meant?

NewKitchens Fri 21-Jun-13 10:44:31

Message withdrawn

Blu Fri 21-Jun-13 21:58:22

That's lovely!
Looks great with the slate.

Erlack Fri 21-Jun-13 22:55:33

That is a gorgeous kitchen. drool. I think the previous comments on the website were fair enough if people were having trouble working out the nature of the business so it's good if the company can take that on board.

fapl Tue 25-Jun-13 00:08:21

The OP probably has her kitchen right now, but I saw this company recently based in Sweden that does custom door fronts for Ikea kitchens, some look very 1960's: www.superfront.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now