Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

mobile phone masts - how important when buying?

(34 Posts)
likeatonneofbricks Sat 25-Feb-12 23:34:42

is there proof that they are dangerous, and in what way? I'm buying in a city, and there is one somewhere along a nearby High St., though not right next to the building, the high st. being very long (unless the search would show more hidden ones)?

MAYBELATERNOWIMBUSY Sun 26-Feb-12 02:06:28

really depends which report you wish to believe imo, i used to collect the "masts" from the manuf. for distrubution, it would surprise most people (i think) if they knew what street / building "furniture" is actually masts, masters of deception , those designers!.

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 11:46:39

oh yes, the surveyor told me that they can be hidden in chimneys and trees etc.! so what do the worst reports say - and also what is a 'safe' distance from one?
The problem is also you can buy, and then later they can add a mast next to you.

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 11:47:48

is there a regulation at least to limit the number of masts in an area (within so many miles/meters)?

NewHouse Sun 26-Feb-12 11:48:23

How can you see where they are?

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 12:41:49

you can't, but you can find out through enviromental searches.

AmberLeaf Sun 26-Feb-12 12:54:30

Do you use a mobile phone?

narmada Sun 26-Feb-12 14:28:51

They are everywhere. No point trying to avoid them, unless you actively want to move to the outer hebrides - and even then I am sure there are phone masts there too!

MAYBELATERNOWIMBUSY Sun 26-Feb-12 15:08:30

narmada is correct, they are "disguised" as just about everything and yeah there really is no avoiding them

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 18:10:26

I do use the phone, but not on it all day - when i used to use it heavily, I did get headaches. Now it's as little as poss, though still most days.
In this case why do they show in searches, and why write scary articles about them, if they are everywhere? Even surveyors advise to check on them.
Maybe it's only bad when masts are next door to you, and that's the point of searches?

nerftoys Sun 26-Feb-12 18:21:50

Useful threadhere about mobile phone masts. Tons in the archives, too.

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 19:07:25

thanks nerf! OMG I didn't realise it's such an emotive subject! after reading all that thread I have a olt more info, though it's still not clear whather it matters or not how far you are from one.

MAYBELATERNOWIMBUSY Sun 26-Feb-12 20:04:17

there is lots and lots off lovely money involved for some investors, and so far no proof medically they do harm to humans , esp. children, as i recall those American troops exposed to the blast of the test nuclear bombs are still fighting their case for compensation! Govt."s work on percentages of population, and employ "smoke and mirror "tactics , are they dangerous? perhaps, to some but try proving it , legally.cheery, are"nt I .

DanFmDorking Sun 26-Feb-12 21:02:32

You may search for Mobile Phone Base Station locations here.

DavidaCottonmouth Sun 26-Feb-12 21:06:19

You'll be fine with a tin foil helmet.

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-12 21:31:58

The amount of radiation from a mobile phone that's close to your body, is vastly greater than the radiation from a mast that is some distance away.

If you are seriously concerned about mobile phone radiation, dump your own.

nerftoys Sun 26-Feb-12 22:34:31

That link's useful, Dan, thanks.

likeatonneofbricks Sun 26-Feb-12 23:00:00

Dan - thanks! they are evreywhere [shockj]! where I'm buying there are many along the high street not just one as I've been told. I'm still none the wiser whether distance is relevant or it doesn't matter whether it's 5m or 100m from you!
PJ - I know that using the phone is somewhat harmful but I don't use mine a lot anymore. Maybe an hour a day total, sometimes less, though it's on most of the time. I thought with the nearby mast, it's ALWAYS there and thought it was more powerful - but at least you say it's less powerful.

nerftoys Sun 26-Feb-12 23:04:05

Distance is relevant.

But it's complex. Lots of info on the archived threads...

Masts are more powerful, but are obviously not right next to your head/body. And as you say, you can switch a phone off, not so with a mast.

likeatonneofbricks Mon 27-Feb-12 12:04:50

nerf, yes I read on that thread that they radiate cone'like rays and it's good to be tight under one.
I looked on that map from Dan's link, and there are three nearby, two together at 15.5m high, and one 6m high - they are about 100-200yards from the building. So can anyone good at maths tell whether the building is under or straight in the line? they may be in the line of smaller one but is the concentration higher at narrow part of the ray where it starts, or increases later? there aer areas around with no masts at all but those radiating from high st. may well still cover everything. I just need to know whether being so near is bad.

likeatonneofbricks Mon 27-Feb-12 12:18:08

also they seem to have different transmission power, the allowed power is around 32, and most are well under, like 5-15, but the two masts nearby (together and 15.5m high) aer very near the top at 28! two together give out power more tan licences for one which is 32 - I'm not sure whether that's radiation power or something else relating to taking all the space so no other company can use it.

nerftoys Mon 27-Feb-12 14:54:53

I'm afraid I would just not buy the property.

It's not true that they're everywhere; you can find a property where you're not that close.

Maths isn't my strong point, though, so I am ducking your questions...grin

I do know that 3G and 4G masts, and Tetra masts, are worse than run-of-the-mill ones.

Mast Sanity here will answer your technical questions. Just ring them, they are v helpful.

MAYBELATERNOWIMBUSY Mon 27-Feb-12 17:05:41

Really hate to burst any ones bubble re this topic but think , look up next time u go to a particular new build supermarket in a built up area and see that nice little well, its like almost a big cute oversized birdhouse stuck on top of their very new looking. in keeping with the surrounding area supermarket ! why do you think it was designed like that? what purpose does it serve?SURPRISE.......!THERE IT IS ...!

Lilymaid Mon 27-Feb-12 17:09:36

If you are worried, don't buy this property

nerftoys Mon 27-Feb-12 18:00:08

Most people wouldn't want to live that near a supermarket either, though, would they, Maybe?

Buy a property where the local people have already campaigned to keep mobile phone masts at bay. There are plenty of communities who have done that.

I bet there are people who will buy that bungalow in Wales - plenty of folk say radiation can't harm you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now