Talk

Advanced search

Macerator loos

(34 Posts)
AChristmasCarole Mon 20-Feb-12 09:34:21

Our new house has an en-suite shower room with a macerator loo. Unpleasant things have been happening with it, but plumbers are not interested in trying to mend it.

We are going to re-do the shower room anyway, and I am torn about replacing the loo. Should we just have a shower and basin, and no loo? The main bathroom along the corridor has one (though since it is next to the children's bedrooms, we might end up with kids awake in the night), and there is one downstairs.

I am worried that this type of toilet will often break down / get blocked, and that it will ultimately be more trouble than it is worth.

Anyone have any good / bad experiences?

QuincyMincemeat Sat 25-Feb-12 13:17:39

I get it from our local plumbing supplies place. Is £££. About 20 quid per 5 litre bottle.

Lol at Qualitymincemeat

QuincyMincemeat Sat 25-Feb-12 13:19:50

this is quite cheap, and looks like the same stuff.

RandomMess Sat 25-Feb-12 13:25:36

We live in a very hard water area and had our saniflo replaced for a new one after about 8 years just because it got really noisy. We now have a water softener (best thing ever IMHO) so hope the next one lasts much longer, we've certainly never had any blocking problems or anything like that.

AChristmasCarole Sat 25-Feb-12 18:06:09

Looking better ....

Keep it coming !

HintofBream Sat 25-Feb-12 18:26:03

Thanks QualityM, I'll try local plumbing place on Monday, otherwise Amazon it is.
ChristmasCarole - have faith!

HintofBream Sat 25-Feb-12 18:27:34

Oh God, I've just done the Quality thing again - must be Freudian -Sorry!!

IDismyname Sat 25-Feb-12 18:34:31

We're on our third saniflo in 5 years. It deals with the loo and basin, but we have given up using the loo entirely. Every time we flush it, water pours out of the air pipe and into the cupboard, so it just does the basin.

We have it in our en suite. We're in a listed house, with all soil pipes out of the back, so it was our only option. There is a loo just out on our landing, so we use that.

I've tried the saniflo cleanser - blinking rip off, if you ask me. Man in Plumbase who sold it to me said he'd rarely met anyone who didnt have problems with their saniflo.

Beware!

RandomMess Sat 25-Feb-12 18:50:18

Blue2 it sounds like there is something wrong with the way the plumbing for it has been installed. We have a problem with our main toilet blocking so our saniflo loo does all the poo in this house and the handbasin...

I'd get yourselves a new plumber!

HintofBream Sun 26-Feb-12 09:00:50

Blue2 I think RandomMess is probably right, plumbing not Saniflo at fault. Are you sure it is a real Saniflo for a start? I think they all get called that rather like "Hoovers". In our previous house there was Saniflo and the waste pipe wound, madly, up and over a door then down again, and there were endless problems until we had it re-routed then everything worked perfectly. Just as well as otherwise I would have been completely put off ever having another. Also you do realise that there are various different models depending on how many bathroom fittings it has to service? I'd certainly go for one of the high spec ones with a sturdy pump for anything involving poo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »