So CAN you have wood flooring in a kitchen? Another wood v Karndean thread...

(66 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 20:27:19

We've been looking at Karndean flooring for the kitchen and hallway (I've posted about it before, I'm very boring) and just presumed flooring guy was right when he said real wood wasn't recommended for kitchens.

But I read a LOT of interiors magazines (told you I was boring) and this month everyone's bloody kitchen has a wooden floor! Not one with Karndean or anything like it (or no-one admitting to it anyway).

Do any of you have a wooden floor in the kitchen? Would a messy family ruin it quickly? If you have Karndean, are you glad you went for it over wood?

It's SUCH a lot of money either way, I just want to get it right!

Sorry for another boring thread grin

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 20:53:03

Just too boring, huh?

oreocrumbs Thu 09-Feb-12 21:05:36

I'm always up for boring grin

In my last house we had wood floor in the kitchen (and dining and living space, it was all open plan). I had no problems, it was very good quality and expensive - I'm not sure if that makes a difference. We are not careful home owners, we have dogs, spill stuff all the time and drop things and had no problems at all.

My mother also has a wooden floor, not as good a quality, and is much more careful but the bit infront of where the kettle is has worn, its been down about 4/5 years.

Now having said that, I have a fancy for karndean. I have travertine all through my ground floor so I won't be changing that, but I'm going to put it in the bathroom, and I would seriously consider karndean if I were doing the kitchen.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:14:19

Yay, someone replied!

Did you find your wood floor hard/cold? Karndean is supposed to be a bit softer and warmer but wood is... real!

oreocrumbs Thu 09-Feb-12 21:19:09

No it wasn't cold. I would think that they would be similar temp wise, for all karndean is padded it does still have the plasticy top layer.

It wasn't hard either - well its solid of course but not uncomfortable under foot. We had long wide boards of oak, it was so much nicer than the bloody travertine grr!

PigletJohn Thu 09-Feb-12 21:23:20

interior magazines are not an accurate reflection of reality.

If by Wooden Floors you mean planks of wood nailed to joists, they do wear into hollows in traffic areas (true!) and need periodic rewaxing or varnishing, so are usually covered in carpet or vinyl or something. Solid hardwoods are genuinely expensive. They will withstand some water without going wrong.

Engineered flooring is basically ply with a hard-wearing top layer. Tends to go wrong at the joints when it is repeatedly wet, especially at external doorways, by the sink, and most of all by dogs' water bowls.

Laminate is basically hardboard with a photograph of a piece of wood glued to the top. Can be treated for water resistance but if water gets into the joints it is likely to swell up and never go flat again.

Bamboo flooring stands up to wet very well, and is the only one seriously considered suitable for bathrooms and kitchens.

carrotsandcelery Thu 09-Feb-12 21:25:44

We have a wood floor in our kitchen/diner/family room. We have had it 5 1/2 years and have no problems in the kitchen area.

We have 2 dogs and it does have a lot of denting in it from them running around on it but the kitchen area of the room shows no sign of wear in any particular area.

We spill on it all the time and drop stuff etc.

It is warmer underfoot than laminate or tiles and a bit softer to walk on. All hard floors are hard on the legs if you work on them a lot though.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:32:23

Fair point on the magazines!

Lots of great info, thankyou. Can I ask a couple of questions?

Why is bamboo so much cheaper than other flooring?
What's your opinion on wood-look Karndean?
Our quote for Karndean in our hall/kitchen is just shy of £2500. Would hardwood be more than that, do you think?

OK that was 3, sorry. grin

RunsWithScissors Thu 09-Feb-12 21:33:50

I saw something where in front of the sink and range/cooker they framed some stone tiles so that water wouldn't be an issue. It looked quite nice!

My parents have had parquet in their kitchen for over 30 yrs. It's endured a dog, small child (nephew), lots of family walking in with shoes, a leaky dish washer. Mom has refinished it twice, and fixed the leak damage quite easily with a hair dryer aimed at the lifted bit.

It looks great still. Took a little bit of work, but not bad for the life an it's had.

cheltenmum Thu 09-Feb-12 21:35:07

We have wood flooring in the dining area (which has heavy usage as it's a living area too) We have very good quality wood down and its fine but should be oiled every year or so. It looks lovely but doesn't stand up to hard wear like other materials.

We have marble in the working part of the kitchen. The water dispenser on the fridge leaked and spread to the wood and spoiled several floor boards. They wouldn't withstand a washing machine or diswasher flood unless you were to catch it quickly . Drips and spills from things like dog bowls would cause patches of discolouration. It wouldn't be my choice for a family kitchen, due to having to care for it more, though it is fine as we have it - away from the "wet" part.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:36:02

Thanks carrotsandcelery. I'm torn now!

We want a wood-effect worktop, but it'll definitely have to be laminate. Anyone tried to match laminate worktop to wood floor (or wood Karndean?)

Sorry for all the questions!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:38:13

Hmm, cat bowl definitely an issue then.

Cheltnmum I would LOOOVE parquet but can't imagine what a PITA it would be to lay. The quote we got for the Karndean parquet was £3880!!!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:39:19

Sorry I meant RunswithScissors!

Cheltmum that sort of thing is exactly what I'm worried about. TBH I want to put something down and forget about it!

oreocrumbs Thu 09-Feb-12 21:40:26

Don't know anything about bamboo!

I like the wood look karndean, I first saw it in a show house I looked at, I had to get down and touch it to see it wasn't wood - I was very impressed and IMHO it looks expensive (although not as expensive as hardwood). I really am a fan!

No idea about money for the wood floor - it was very expensive when we had our laid - thousands of pounds but also it was a massive space, so without a size comparison I couldn't say (and it was many moons ago so prices may well be different now)

oreocrumbs Thu 09-Feb-12 21:42:09

If you want to put it down and not worry get the karndean. It is going to be cheaper than the good wood, and so much easier to maintain!

Popbiscuit Thu 09-Feb-12 21:43:00

I think the look of wood is much, much nicer looking than a laminate floor but I have had wood in a very high-traffic kitchen (children, dogs, rear entry access) and never would again. It just didn't wear well or perhaps I washed it too frequently but after a few years it looked awful (this was our previous house). We have slate tiles now and I find them much more practical as well as attractive. We have bamboo floors in our den and that's been very hardwearing. (I think there are some ecological concerns with using this material so that might be something to investigate). Cork floors are supposed to very good.

Rhinopotamus Thu 09-Feb-12 21:43:35

We have wood effect karndean in the hallway and tile effect in the kitchen. The wood effect looks good and you have to look very closely to see that it's not wood. I still find it a bit cold in the kitchen, although that might just be me and my cold feet!
My brother has a solid wood floor in their open plan kitchen, dining and living room. It has been scratched by the dog, but apart from that still looks good all over.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:44:08

OK - so in conclusion, I COULD have wood but Karndean might fit the bill better? It is really lovely to look at, too.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:46:44

Thanks for all the responses btw - very much appreciated!

PigletJohn Thu 09-Feb-12 21:47:41

Bamboo flooring is factory made, they somehow strip the fibres and glue them back together in plank-shaped pieces. Personally I don't like the "grain" of it. It is I suppose less expensive because it isn't made from big old trees. Bamboo is (I'm told) a giant kind of grass, and grows very fast.

Most of the best hardwoods grow very slowly, and are usually taken from tropical forests, so they get used up and there are no new ones planted sad and obviously expensive. There is practically no real Mahogany left, and not much teak. In Australia there is ample local hardwood for the locals, but varieties are different. In the US they often use Maple, which is pale with an attractive satiny surface, but is classed as non-durable.

There is a lot of Rubberwood available now, which is a good dark hardwood, and comes from huge plantations when they are being re-planted, so I think it counts as a renewable resource. When used for flooring it is sometimes given some other name which I have temporarily forgotten, but I think it looks pretty good and would not be concerned to use it on environmental grounds.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:52:39

So interesting to hear this take on it PigletJohn - it's so easy to forget about the environmental implications of the choices we make.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 09-Feb-12 21:54:14

I have Karndean in my kitchen and hallway. I like it, it's probably 2nd best to hardwood but needs next to no care.

I have American oak laid diagonally with a cherry wood infil around the border in the hall and soapstone in the kitchen.

As regards warmth - Karndean is warmer than tile but not as warm as wood if it's laid on concrete as ours is. It would be warmer laid on floorboards no doubt about it.

It is very hardwearing and waterproof - I've had a minor flood - no damage whatsoever - it's also in the downstairs loo (wiped with bleach regularly) and has had 6+ years of 5 adults traipsing through and is fine. Slightly scratched at the very bottom of the staircase.

It's bonded to the floor and isn't 'padded' like vinyl.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 09-Feb-12 21:57:14

That's really good to hear saggar (wow that's a long name!). We're looking at the American oak too - it's really pretty and a nice warm colour.

RachelHRD Thu 09-Feb-12 22:47:16

We have pitchpine Karndean right through downstairs and in our ensuite and it's fab - it has the grain effect so has some texture - and looks great and is hard wearing and warm underfoot. I also have other Karndean's in our guest ensuite and kids bathroom and again really happy with it.

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Feb-12 22:51:45

My mum has some Quickstep laminate in her kitchen, which looks EXACTLY like real wood, feels like wood (textured etc) and is wearing a lot better than my real oak wood floor in my living room (and she has dogs!). I was a bit of a hard wood snob when we got our living room floor, but in retrospect, with the experience of my mother's floor, I would have got the posh laminate. Much harder wearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now