Talk

Advanced search

Government grant for loft insulation

(22 Posts)
bobs Sun 04-Dec-11 11:50:53

So this man phone yesterday from Nationwide Energy Services and apparently we all qualify for a free grant for loft insulation 11" deep. I know ours is less than that so have arranged for a free survey tomorrow. It will apparently cost in the region of £149. i have tried to check them out - anyone used them or anyone else offering this service - there are a few out there? And what is the catch?

LunarRose Sun 04-Dec-11 11:58:39

We had it done a year and half ago and it didn't cos a penny at all not for the survey or anything. Ok so I don't know whether his was influenced by us being on a very low income or whether the grants are less generous now. we used www.markgroup.co.uk/

bobs Sun 04-Dec-11 12:04:16

I know that certain people qualify for getting it done free - yay for them - but unfortunately we don't sad - i just don't want to get fleeced!

bigonsmalltalk Sun 04-Dec-11 12:06:24

I did this

£1 per roll. Arrived within a fortnight, free delivery. Don't have to be an Npower customer.

We didn't qualify for any grants so DH did ours. The free offers seem to be tied in with energy supply deals?

bobs Sun 04-Dec-11 12:26:31

Wow that's really interesting - sounds much much cheaper. Apparently now everyone qualifies for a grant - 100% in some cases. We get up to 80% off but it will still cost (over) £149. so my question now is - how easy is it to DIY as I would be doing it??? I note that the insulation comes with safety equipment. and how long does it take? Any tips gratefully received smile

bigonsmalltalk Sun 04-Dec-11 12:41:03

Watch the video on the link. You need a saw to cut the insulation rolls to the width of the rafters (if you are laying it in between the rafters) or to the width you want if you are laying it over the top and the rafters bit is already done. Its a little bit messy but not too bad (just vaccumed afterwards as we cut it up on the landing!). You need to cover your skin as its a bit itchy and wear the safety goggles.

The hardest bit for us was clearing out the loft! Also we have a low pitched roof so not much room to work.

bigonsmalltalk Sun 04-Dec-11 12:42:12

Sorry, forgot to say it probably takes a day to do but ours was longer as we had loads of rubbish in the loft.

bobs Sun 04-Dec-11 13:01:51

Thanks for that - nothing in our loft as inaccessible. DH has said he will give me paper overalls to wear!!! Will wait for the free survey to see how much we need as hopefully he will tell us the measurements! Just need to find a light grin

PigletJohn Sun 04-Dec-11 14:06:26

you can almost certainly get it for £150, or possibly free, under one of the subsidised schemes. Look at the website of your gas and electricity suppliers and of your local authority.

As you can get a subsidised installation by one of these very reputable groups, there is no need to go for a cold-calling cowboy.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation

bigonsmalltalk Sun 04-Dec-11 15:19:35

There is an online calculator for how much you need on the link. If you measure accurately it works well.

HappyCamel Sun 04-Dec-11 15:36:24

Don't start with the company, start with the government dept doing the grant. in our area Hampshire do it through "insulate Hampshire". There are grants out there, the hampshire one isnt means tested but there are lots of companies who are taking advantage and profit skimming.

bossyrossy Sat 21-Jul-12 15:34:44

I too have had two phone calls from Nationwide Energy Services telling me that I am entitled to free loft insulation and that they have a rep in the area next week. I checked on the government website but it says that you have to be on benefits of one kind or another. I told the NES lady this but she said that has recently changed, so I phoned the government helpline and it again mentioned the benefits (I would have thought they would be up to date with their own information). Can't help thinking that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't true. She also said that the grant was being discontinued soon and I should take advantage of it. Too pushy!

PigletJohn Sat 21-Jul-12 16:42:36

see my post Sun 04-Dec-11 14:06:26, it's still true.

PigletJohn Sat 21-Jul-12 16:47:21

here are some starters for you

www.southern-electric.co.uk/BeingGreen/Insulation/

www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy-saving/home-insulation/free-insulation.html

https://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/for-your-home/winter-saving/winter-form.shtml

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 21-Jul-12 16:53:30

bossyrossy
We've just had loft insulation done for free .
We had a cold call , and were asked if we owned our house ( yes , with mortgage ) and if we claimed any benefit ( no )
We had the agent round , he measured up , we just had to clear the junk out of the loft , and the work was done a couple of weeks ago .
Only took the men about an hour .

Yorky Sat 21-Jul-12 17:55:27

We didn't qualify for grants as we already had some, needed more but had too much to get it done from scratch for free [hmm[
At the time homebase were doing an offer for loft insulation fitted and cavity walls done for £99each - with 3 small DC it was totally worth not doing it ourselves

SamsGoldilocks Sat 21-Jul-12 18:07:09

I had a random company come over and said we would be eligible, but at a cost of 200 quid. I signed up for it but afterwards spoke to a friend who said the energy companies do it for free.

So I called British gas over but they claimed it was deep enough already and anyway as I had stored a few boxes in the for this provided enough extra insulation. [Hmmm]. I think British gas were just trying to wriggle out of their commitment. I'm with a new company now so will try again.....

mrgreen Thu 11-Apr-13 17:05:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stinkyfluffycat Thu 11-Apr-13 17:11:43

We had ours done by Southern Electric for free (we're not on benefits, offer seemed to be open to all), and I don't think you had to be one of their customers, you could try asking them.

stinkyfluffycat Thu 11-Apr-13 17:12:40

Oh - really old thread... didn't notice before.

PigletJohn Sat 13-Apr-13 14:38:03

I've heard a rumour the subsidies might start up again this year. We've just had the coldest and longest winter in a lifetime, and fuel bills have been very high, so it could be a vote-winner.

flow4 Sat 13-Apr-13 15:22:28

I think it's still useful stinky, even tho' it's old... It's the kind of question that people will always be asking, and it's really helpful to have the info updated from time to time. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now