Advanced search

To put on the market or not?

(12 Posts)
toughdecisions Sat 22-Oct-11 17:21:28

We want to move in the next 12 months. The question is whether to put the house on the market this week or wait for spring cos no-one will be looking from now to Christmas? Talking 4 bed family home in quite popular area but not London/SE.

dramatrauma Sat 22-Oct-11 17:25:36

If you want to move, then put your house on the market now. Plenty of people are looking.

Witchathulu Sat 22-Oct-11 18:23:47

Yep, we've had ours on for a week and had four viewings, so I reckon it's worth it - what's the worst that can happen? That you end up moving over Christmas? S'not a big deal really, I think, and I'd be happy to move any time, tbh - we want to get moved by next summer, and if we get a buyer and it all goes through, then wahey! You've not got much to lose by being on the market, even if you don't get any viewings, you can always blame it on being Christmas!

oliviasmama Sat 22-Oct-11 18:37:22

I put mine on the market the first week in January this year, sold straight away, it was on the market at a good price but that was reflected in my purchase too. Get it on now.

toughdecisions Sun 23-Oct-11 20:16:15

Oooh interesting that you're all of positive frame of mind.
Thanks for replying.

Amaris Sun 23-Oct-11 21:03:09

I had an offer accepted on a house this week where the sale had fell through. Before that I was obsessively checking Rightmove about 20 times a day in the hope that new properties would have been put on the market, so I'm another go for it.

The only risk that I can see is that people say there are more buyers around in the spring, so you might get a quicker sale, whereas if you don't get a sale immediately there might be some pressure to feel that you need to reduce your price - but then obviously that's your choice anyway. I put my last house on in November and had to wait until the new year for viewings, but then got a good price in the February, which worked out fine!

Amaris Sun 23-Oct-11 21:04:23

Oh and I guess the other thing is are there enough properties on the market at the moment that you would find something or realistically would you be more likely to find something suitable in the spring or be prepared to rent if you got an offer and couldn't find something?

MrsCog Sun 23-Oct-11 21:06:28

Another right move 'refersher' buyer here, just waiting for new properties - there is such a short supply of houses, I think you'll find you might well get interest now.

Amaris Sun 23-Oct-11 21:14:51

Not just me then MrsCog - I've found that there is life after Rightmove, I'm so glad to have my days back! I was obsessively looking at all the properties that I'd rejected too just to see if maybe there was something I'd missed that would make them my perfect house! I haven't totally weened myself off it, but it's once every two days now rather than once every two minutes!

toughdecisions Mon 24-Oct-11 20:43:22

Hello again

Had visit from estate agent. His view on the market is it is definitely trying to move. Getting people on the ladder at the bottom there is a problem re lending leading to chain hitches. However he leans slightly to spring just beacause of our very specific location which is particularly scenic when green & leafy (conservation village).

All food for thought & there's another one coming tomorrow !

oliviasmama Mon 24-Oct-11 21:28:16

you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it now have you?

Becaroooo Mon 24-Oct-11 21:50:34

We offered on a house last week and our offer was accepted!

Go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: