Talk

Advanced search

How do I decorate with the 2 bright colours that I want?

(10 Posts)
pARGHssTheTwiglets Fri 21-Oct-11 19:40:09

Firstly, I have a feeling that these colours were ridiculed on MN recently so just smile and nod and bear with me if you think it's gross smile I realise that it is a trend and obviously 'Next'ish but I don't care, I love them anyway! Lime green and teal. I really want to decorate my living room in these colours but how?! The colours are too bright to use on the walls as they are but if I do a neutral colour ont he walls and then accessorise with cushions etc. in these colours then I don't think it will be enough and you won't notice the colours. I wondered about a dado rail with a wallpaper with both colours on (something like this) and then a light, neutral colour on the top. But do you get fed up with bright wallpaper after a while?

I like feature walls but we have no alcoves or anything that stands out and the walls are quite long so might be a bit much to have them in a bright colour...

Help, I want these colours in my rooms but have no idea how to get them!

7to25 Fri 21-Oct-11 21:27:14

hi Twiglets,
I wanted to search for wallpaper for you but am at PILs with horrible Internet.
the fado idea is bad. it will alter the proportions of the rooms, especially if you have long walls. I think a feature wall in a wallpaper incorporating both Colours might work. I have an idea that I have seen one in Designers Guild. Use neutrals, possibly grey and pull the teal and lime into the room with accessories.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Fri 21-Oct-11 21:36:32

Oh now I hadn't thought of wallpaper on one wall only - that's a good idea.

The room is a rectangle - what would a dado rail do then, make it look longer and thinner? (can I have a dado rail put on me, if so grin)

7to25 Sat 22-Oct-11 08:16:40

it would visually reduce the height of the room.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Sat 22-Oct-11 08:29:50

Even if the wallpaper was vertical stripes?

7to25 Sat 22-Oct-11 20:49:54

Sorry for the delay,
Yes, the line with the greatest visual impact is the one cutting through the stripes and going all the way round the room.
This means that there are three parallel lines, at ceiling, dado and floor level, giving a strong horizontal line.

HansieMom Sun 23-Oct-11 00:24:16

You could find fabric with both colors in it. A variety of patterns--maybe a paisley, swirls, big dots. Use for pillows. You could find a big urn or a vase in one of the colors. then perhaps a colorful throw. you could find some art with those colors. I like that color combo. Perhaps add chartreuse? It goes well with turquoise and lime.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Sun 23-Oct-11 10:42:24

<goes to Google chartreuse>

Yes, that's nice! I think it was in the wallpaper I liked (except they called it 'gold'). So what would you put on the walls then, Hansie?

7to25 Sun 23-Oct-11 12:37:18

found the wallpaper I was thinking of:
sarafan by designers guild in teal and lime

HansieMom Sun 23-Oct-11 16:06:57

Charteuse is not gold. (wow do I dislike gold. and brown.) it is a yellow green. I'm a quilter and like it with turquoise and lime.

for walls--an off white. I'd take my colors into paint store, get every near white they had, then take them home and choose.

You might be able to put some navy with the colors. navy and charteuse is good, as is navy and lime, not sure about turquoise. turquoise is my favorite color, followed by cerise--a bright cherry color.

if you love a wallpaper, you could get a couple of large frames and frame some. that would be a big hit of the pattern without the work of wallpapering, which is so much work, altho I know it is coming back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now