Talk

Advanced search

Moving into a house with a wash basin in the bedroom...

(12 Posts)
BleughCowWonders Fri 21-Oct-11 11:47:37

Seems so quaint smile
We'll put in a en-suite probably, but I can't see us getting much use out of it. I'm not a sharing-bathroom type, so apart from brushing teeth, I guess it'll stay unused.

Unless someone has a bright idea?!

HappyAsIAm Fri 21-Oct-11 13:57:50

We have a washbasin in one of our bedrooms too - its an Edwardian house. When we moved in 18 months ago, I was all for getting rid of it somehow as the bedroom its in is in no way big enough to make an en suite.

But now I am pregnant with our second baby, we have decided that this bedroom will be the nursery, and all of a sudden I can see great advantages to having the washbasin in there when it comes to nappy changes etc.

I am so glad I didn't get rid of it!

BleughCowWonders Fri 21-Oct-11 14:09:37

I'm well past the nursery stage thank goodness

Maybe I could get kettle for early morning teasmile

JollyBear Fri 21-Oct-11 14:14:19

I had one in my bedroom at home. It was useful. I bathed dolls, as a teenager made hot drinks and used it as somewhere to be sick in an emergency!

ElderberrySyrup Fri 21-Oct-11 14:14:58

Ah, I remember in the 80s it was really posh having a washbasin in the bedroom! Seems very weird now. Can't think of anything worse than having one in a child's bedroom, once they're past the baby stage - the havoc and mayhem they could create....!

Witchathulu Sat 22-Oct-11 04:22:15

Our house had sinks in all three bedrooms when we moved in - I ended taking them out of the two kids' rooms, as the toddlers loved turning on the taps, and once we'd had a flood (in a flat,) that was it, they came out. I did keep the one in our room, as it has been useful for teeth, face, post-nappy change, baby bathing, etc. And if we were staying, I'd keep it in there.

Thzumbazombiewitch Sat 22-Oct-11 04:33:22

One of my friends lives in army quarters, and the house she is in currently has a basin in two of the bedrooms. Quite useful when guests are staying!

Grockle Sat 22-Oct-11 05:06:23

We have a washbasins in the spare room and I love it! V handy when guests are here (2 less people brushing teeth when we're all trying to go out) and fab for when I have foreign language students staying.

MOSagain Sat 22-Oct-11 14:09:23

We have one in our guest room which is really handy

CaptainNancy Mon 24-Oct-11 14:36:16

We had them when I was small... I used to love brushing my teeth in my own bedroom smile

I would never dared have been silly with the water though! (plus was the time of power-cuts, strikes, and all resources were v precious so I wouldn't have wasted water)

Brasso4 Mon 24-Oct-11 22:31:38

We have one in our bedroom initially I thought it would not be useful and we would change for an en-suite but actually I love it. We can brush our teeth and wash faces etc without using the main bathroom and tbh now don't fancy having an en-suite (something about a toilet in my bedroom puts me off) but find the sink really useful.

aylsham Mon 24-Oct-11 23:34:29

yes, we had one and I loved it. Great for putting make up on in your own bedroom (if you don't have an ensuite, which we didn't in that house). I changed the very ordinary wash basin for a beautiful Fired Earth marble round basin which I put on an oak vanity unit,so it became a feature as well. Only cost was the basin as all the plumbng was already there of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now