Talk

Advanced search

Farrow & Ball in a kitchen?

(10 Posts)
blushingmare Thu 20-Oct-11 07:25:19

Hi
Is Farrow & Ball Modern Emulsion durable enough for a family kitchen? Opinions welcomed!

Succubi Thu 20-Oct-11 07:33:40

Sorry i don't know the answer but just wanted to say that I love all the F&B colours and that i am jealous that you are considering using their paints.

blushingmare Thu 20-Oct-11 08:08:19

Hi sucubi - they are lovely aren't they?! I have my heart set on a colour scheme I think will look really great (light blue on walls, blackened ceiling & woodwork and skylight on the wooden shelving!), but have used F&B in my hall, landing & stairs and do find the mat finish means it marks easily so concerned about it getting mucky in a kitchen! What to do...!

teta Thu 20-Oct-11 09:22:55

I have Light Blue along with Skimming Stone and Strong White in my kitchen and i love it.I opted to get a colour match with Dulux Diamond Hard paint which is scrubbable [because of 4 dc's and a dog].It wasn't any cheaper ,but gave me peace of mind and is a perfect match [done at a proper paint merchants].We did one layer of modern emulsion and it actually looked quite matt on the wall but i don't know about the longevity sadly.

soonbesailing Thu 20-Oct-11 20:44:11

For the Walls in the kitchen, bathroom, hallway you should be using F&B Modern emulsion it has slightly more sheen but is washable, rather than Estate emulsion which is only wipeable .

blushingmare Thu 20-Oct-11 21:27:33

Thanks soonbesailing, but I have Modern Emulsion in my hall and am not convinced of it's washability - a few scuff marks that I can't get off and the paint starts to come away if you wash too thoroughly. Am wondering if I should use the eggshell on the walls?

soonbesailing Fri 21-Oct-11 08:54:03

Yes you can use eggshell on the walls (it will be expensive though) it will have more shine (it looks really quite shiney at first but drops back after a few weeks).
I've posted more about eggshell in the current thread about F&B gloss (sorry don't know how to do link).

jaspercat2002 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:37:12

We used Little Greene Ultimatte in our kitchen/diner and it is brilliant - totally matt and very washable so far (only been up about 3 months but I have 2 very grubby little boys) Might be worth having a look to see what you think of their colours.

minipie Fri 21-Oct-11 17:03:59

Reading with interest as I have F&B modern emulsion in kitchen and LG Ultimatt in living room, hall and stairs... too soon to tell about washability/durability though!

blushing you could get a F&B colour match in a Dulux washable finish emulsion?

Popbiscuit Fri 21-Oct-11 17:09:38

I used light blue and strong white in my last kitchen. Strong white for the cabinets and light blue for the island. I'm sorry I can't remember which formula it was but I know that it was very hard-wearing and easy to wipe clean and the colour...velvety, chalky, soft. Miss that kitchen sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now