Talk

Advanced search

i feel done over by British Gas...

(5 Posts)
HattiFattner Wed 19-Oct-11 12:53:03

I signed up with the evil BG on the promise of free cavity wall insulation and loft insulation. This would have been a good deal.

However, the surveyor came out today - the house is ineligible for any cavity wall insulation because of its construction, and the section that is suitable is not 2/3rds of the house, therefore we are not eligible to have that done.

Fair enough.

Now to loft insulation:

There are 3 loft spaces in the house (tis an old house). Loft 1 in DSs bedroom. Theres 6" of loft insulation but they recommend 10". But they cant do it because the roof pitch is too shallow.

Loft 2: She doesnt even view because the loft hatch "is too small" - well yes, it is small, but my 6' DH can get through there....

Loft 3: Is in the centre of the room. She cannot go up her ladder due to health and safety because she cannot rest the ladder against anything and its a tall ceiling. AMazingly, DH manages to get up there every Christmas to see if theres any damage by reindeers .....

Im just cheesed off - I feel like they are doing everything in their power NOT to do any insulation. She even said ours was OK because we had 6" and although less than recommended, it was still good. Well thats OK then.

I am also cross with myself for thinking the BG could do anything honestly.

LemonPeel Wed 19-Oct-11 12:55:08

right. When did you sign up for british gas. there should be a cooling off period. Get on the blower now and tell them you are not happy for the reasons above. Tell them you will be warning others on the internet that they are promising stuff they do not deliver.

HattiFattner Wed 19-Oct-11 13:00:14

i signed up some time ago lemonpeel. sad But thank you.

Gotarty Wed 19-Oct-11 13:12:21

Have a look here... www.freeinsulation.co.uk/

LemonPeel Wed 19-Oct-11 13:16:33

Oh what a shame. Maybe send them an email complaint, that had you known there were going to be so many restrictions to the point that no 'free services' would be available, you would not have signed on with them in the first place.

No harm in letting them know how you feel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now