Talk

Advanced search

What floor for a playroom ?

(16 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Wed 19-Oct-11 10:55:18

Tough carpet? Playful lino? Varnished wood?

What will last and still look good in two to three years?

Any ideas?

kitsmummy Wed 19-Oct-11 11:15:30

If they're under 10 then I'd say the nice lino or wood. We have carpet and will be changing it for a bright rubber or vinyl flooring when we have the money. DS always seems to be given that goo stuff, fart putty, alien slime, that sort of thing and no matter how many times I warn him it always seems to end up on sofa/carpet!!!

ElderberrySyrup Wed 19-Oct-11 11:42:24

not carpet. Gets smelly too easily when they spill milky things on it.

loomer Wed 19-Oct-11 12:01:24

We've just put oak floorboards down in ours - obviously they haven't stood the test of time yet, but we had them in other rooms at old house and they were very hardwearing, provided you aren't too precious (ie. they will suffer some scratches and dents over the years, but I like that kind of patina of age on stuff so it doesn't bother me personally).

Gonzo33 Wed 19-Oct-11 13:47:44

I'd definately go for wood too. loomer is right, wood does age better.

Akandra Wed 19-Oct-11 14:09:55

And you can always sand wood back and revarnish it when they are older smile

befuzzled Wed 19-Oct-11 18:41:55

i just read this thread as what floor shall I put the play room on and I was thinking well I guess you can get away with putting them in the loft or basement smile

ElderberrySyrup Wed 19-Oct-11 19:42:25

LOL Befuzzled, so did I only I was going to say the opposite, they need to be near where you are so ground floor is best. We could have had a fight!

befuzzled Wed 19-Oct-11 19:59:01

Ha ha elderberry! We are just about to move into a 3 storey house and, reluctantly, I agree with you - you need them near (but not in) your main living areas like living room, kitchen diner etc. Our prospective house has an integral double garage with a door in from the entrance hall, across from kitchen, dining room, living room and we are hoping to convert that into the playroom.

I think we will look at rubber or engineered wood flooring. Definitely agree no carpets. What is vinyl flooring? Is that like the horrible plasticky stuff I currently have in our hideous rented kitchen in which case not sure I could go there.

WillowFae Thu 20-Oct-11 14:37:34

We are moving into a 3 story but their playroom is going to be on the top floor. Not ideal, but that's where the spare room is.

As for flooring, we have gone for laminate.

befuzzled Thu 20-Oct-11 16:23:47

That's an option for us too - am thinking of it for the older ones whose bedrroms will be up there (7 and 4) but have a 1y old and that would be a constant worry even with stair gates I think and i would constantly be walking up and down chaging nappies etc I think - how old are yours?

startail Thu 20-Oct-11 16:26:37

We have engineered wood with underfloor heating, because the playroom is the conservatory.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Thu 20-Oct-11 16:38:38

I would absolutely have a good quality vinyl flooring. I was always veeeeery snobbish about this, assuming that it was the horrible old lino that people used to have in the 70s but a good quality one is great and looks fab. Rhinofloor was recommended to me by several people and we have it in our bathroom and I'm hugely pleased with it. We have laminated flooring in our playroom and I wish I'd known how good Rhinofloor vinyl was or I'd never have had the laminate. Main reason being that you can get vinyl as wet as you like but laminate or wooden floors aren't that suitable for water. I know they say some are waterproof but I don't believe them smile So I yell "not in the playroom!!" whenever there are toys out that involve water... I am going to replace our playroom flolor with Rhinofloor as soon as I can afford it!

befuzzled Thu 20-Oct-11 20:29:20

hmmm had a look at rhinofloor - really dont like that ook. What is rubber like? Any recommendations?

pARGHssTheTwiglets Thu 20-Oct-11 22:15:18

But you can get Rhinofloor to look like anything! Some look like tiles, some look like wood - mine look like oak floorboards and a few people assumed we had a real wood floor and didn't believe me that it was vinyl!

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Thu 20-Oct-11 22:18:43

I'd go with a wood floor, well sealed, with underfloor heating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now