Talk

Advanced search

double glazing windows misty inbetween glass

(11 Posts)
makemineagin Mon 17-Oct-11 16:39:05

Has anybody has the windows repaired when this has happend, I have had somebody out today who says that they all need replacing.

southeastastra Mon 17-Oct-11 16:39:57

yes we had a few done last year cost about £400

makemineagin Mon 17-Oct-11 16:49:56

Southeast many thanks that seems alot better than replacing, how did they repair them? did they have to remove and send away?

fresh Mon 17-Oct-11 17:34:10

You might be able to find a company which just replaces the glazed unit. This is much cheaper and less disruptive as they don't need to take the frames out, they just swap the glazed bits over and it should only take a day. I've had this done - ring round some of the smaller dbl glazing companies near you, they're generally a better bet than the Everest type ones who just want to rip it all out and start again.

Ponders Mon 17-Oct-11 17:46:46

any glazier can replace DG units (they often advertise in local papers)

have a look in yellow pages

Ponders Mon 17-Oct-11 17:47:34

(they come round, measure up, go away, make the units, come back & fit. easy peasy smile)

makemineagin Mon 17-Oct-11 18:28:06

Thanks everybody, i can see that Tuesday will mostly be spent on the phonesmile

southeastastra Mon 17-Oct-11 18:29:53

yes they just replaced the glass on site, it's so nice to look out the windows again grin

they did four panes in a day

southeastastra Mon 17-Oct-11 18:30:57

i found the repair person after googling double glazing repairs

BedatHogwarts Mon 17-Oct-11 19:45:46

Check your guarantee if your windows aren't ancient. Most companies offer a 5 or 10 year guarantee against units breaking down, so you might get them changed free of charge.

It won't be worth resealing the units unless they are special glass, or decorative leadwork etc. as the labour cost for splitting and resealing wouldn't be viable. They should make you a new unit from new glass. They won't need to replace the frames.

scaryteacher Tue 18-Oct-11 10:14:48

I've had the glazing replaced in mine and it's fine. When I win the lottery I will have all the windows changed back to sashes, but the UPVC which was there when we bought the house will do for the tenants, and helps keep the place warm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now