Talk

Advanced search

F&B - String and Matchstick

(4 Posts)
needinstructions Mon 17-Oct-11 12:12:03

Calling all experts...

I love the colour of our hallway and landing (from previous owners) and had thought I'd found a perfect match in Matchstick. I bought a tester pot and liberally daubed the walls but it seems to be a bit lighter than the original in some places and loads lighter in others.

So I tried String. Absolute slam dunk match on one part of the wall, but bizarrely looks really quite dark on other bits just a foot or so away. I'm wondering if it was originally String and the walls have just faded badly. But anyway, it's quite a dark landing (long with just one window at the end) so I'm reluctant to go the darker route but Matchstick doesn't seem as warm.

Is there a good middle way? Or should I be taken out and shot for overthinking almost identical shades of murky cream??!

Mammonite Mon 17-Oct-11 12:43:52

As it happens I have used both these colours before. (Are you sure you have not bought my old house?) We had String in the hallway and it looked fine once the carpet, pictures etc were in.

Matchstick is a similar colour but I would say more cream, less beige. They are both easy to live with colours, I don't think you will go wrong with either.

daisie4 Tue 18-Oct-11 08:47:05

I second Mommonite - I've used both and they are both lovely and matchstick is a warm colour. I've never found string dark, but I remember the first time I used it halfway through I nearly changed to matchstick because it looked dark, but didn't - I was really pleased with result.

needinstructions Tue 18-Oct-11 09:29:23

Thank you both - it sounds like I can't go wrong either way! That's the kind of decision I like grin. I've been known to repaint rooms three times in a row to get the 'right' colour but there's too much to re-do here so I have to be sure first time. I suspect I will go for Matchstick in the end because we do have quite a dark hallway and stairs so will be nervous of it feeling too gloomy, so thank you for the reassurance that it will still be warm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now