Talk

Advanced search

Buying carpet...arrrgh...wool blend or polypropylene?

(12 Posts)
papillonrouge Mon 17-Oct-11 09:02:59

I am trying to buy a carpet for the nursery and assumed that wool was the best with wool blend as a compromise. We can't quite stretch to John Lewis so have been looking around in cheapy local carpet suppliers, all of whom recommend polypropylene as it's apparently cheaper, more durable, more cleanable, feels nicer etc etc. However, every instinct I have tells me wool or wool blend must be better without any real evidence to back up why I feel this way. Anyone have any advice?

Colliecollie Mon 17-Oct-11 09:11:01

Wool does feel nice, but my new wool blend carpets have moths. It's a bit annoying. Polypropylene in the DDs room is soft, durable, easy to clean spills and doesn't have moths. If you get wool it might not attract moths but it there's a good chance it will.

fresh Mon 17-Oct-11 09:26:18

Have always had wool blend carpets. Have never had moths! Polypropylene will not last longer, is generally thinner so less comfortable and the 'feeling nicer' is subjective. 100% wool will be v expensive so an 80/20 mix is good compromise. Also, get the thickest underlay you can which will help with durability whatever you choose.

papillonrouge Mon 17-Oct-11 09:58:43

Thanks both - already on it with the underlay...although some of the guys in the cheapo carpet shops try to claim that the foam backed poly carpet doesn't need underlay?! I think this is what makes me not trust the fact that they say poly is best.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 17-Oct-11 18:55:55

I have recently bought polypropylene for our lounge, having gone to the shop expecting to buy wool because it is 'better'.

I bought polypropylene because:

It felt nicer than the blend and density I could afford in wool
It says it is easy to clean - right up to being able to stand bleach without losing it's colour
It came in a nicer colour than the wool brands I could afford.

I did spend quite a lot on underlay. I have small children, so if necessary I will replace the carpet in 5 years or so, but would keep the underlay from this go round.

Good luck with your decision!

MrsJasonBourne Mon 17-Oct-11 19:37:20

Have you ever seen the fire safety videos about natural versus manmade fibres?

Woollen blankets, rugs, carpets, etc take absolutely ages to even catch alight and then they only burn very slightly.

Manmade fibres go up like a rocket and burn the entire room out in about three minutes.

I know a housefire is pretty unlikely but it made my decision for me!

papillonrouge Mon 17-Oct-11 19:41:06

Wow - no I hadn't and I have a huge phobia about the house burning down. Think that has made my decision for me too!

MrsJasonBourne Mon 17-Oct-11 19:46:22

Glad to help. smile

It bloody put the wind up me when I saw it on the tv, I can tell you. They did a simulation of a couple's bedroom in the back of a trailer and the manmade fibres burnt it out entirely in about three minutes. All that was recognisable was the metal bedframe. It even burnt through a picture of them that they'd put on the bedside cabinet, which was a bit grim.

In the same three minutes timescale, the woollen blanket was still smouldering, which would give anybody in there enough time to get to safety.

Blimey.

Gotarty Mon 17-Oct-11 21:16:35

Nylon is meant to be really good but it is difficult to get hold of. Think Kosset make a few. Polyprop drops it's pile quicker than wool and it is not more stain resistant - it absorbs stains but can be easily cleaned with bleach - mind you how easily can you clean the bleach out? Think wool is better at repelling stains. Polyprops are definitely cheaper though but look out for the pile count to see whether you are getting a real bargain or not, the lower the pile count the quicker the pile will fall - our looped polyprop fell within weeks - we were selling our house shortly after it was installed but what a waste of money it was!

SpringHeeledJack Mon 17-Oct-11 22:05:43

polyprop is less enviromentally sound

we got 100% wool for a stair carpet last year, as we couldn't find a blend

it feels like walking on a cosy fluffy softy jumper and I still LOVE it

but then I am quite sad

papillonrouge Tue 18-Oct-11 09:36:01

Finally found a great shop that does a beautiful 100% wool berber within our price range and she didn't try to sell me polyprop. Decision made - thanks so much for all the comments, when it comes down to it I just don't like the idea of the house being carpeted in plastic!

Gotarty Tue 18-Oct-11 09:47:48

Don't buy a cheap Berber - you'll regret it - it'll stand longer than the polyprop but the loop will fall with a year. I was told to get a looped carpet that will stand the test of time you had to pay double the price of a standard wool carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now