Talk

Advanced search

W&at's reaaonable re time taken for letting agent to organise minor ish maintenance issue?

(7 Posts)
ASuitableGirl Sun 16-Oct-11 15:00:58

A light bulb fused a couple a weeks ago in a downstairs light fitting and since then it hasnt worked. Called the letting agent about it two weeks ago tomorrow ie 3rd October and after calling back later to say he'd spoken to the landlord (and also checked that I'd flicked the switch in the fuse box which I had smile) said he would arrange for an electrician to come.

Haven't heard any more about it and alrhough it isn't a critical light I would like it to work again! Am always wary of moaning about things as I worry that I will get thrown out (possibly over thinking a bit there but I do worry about being considered troublesome) . Would asking about it next week be ok would you say?

annh Sun 16-Oct-11 15:33:13

Are you saying this a just a lightbulb which needs changing - i.e. the fuse blew when the light went? Can you not just do something with it yourself?

ASuitableGirl Sun 16-Oct-11 15:57:37

No - I am not quite that useless! Light bulb has been changed and still isn't working. When the fuse went it fused the whole of the downstairs lights and there was a fizz noise from the light fitting itself. I really don't feel that I am qualified to fiddle around with the light fitting in the ceiling - if that had happened in a house I owned I would have called out an electrician.

If there is an easy way to sort it out myself of course I will but I really don't know how to deal with a light fitting in the ceiling.

ASuitableGirl Sun 16-Oct-11 20:47:36

Any other thoughts? Am wondering if it is something I should be doing rather than having involved the letting agent at all (but as he has spoken to the landlord I suppose it will already count against me).

scaryteacher Sun 16-Oct-11 21:47:15

I would have expected the letting agent to have sorted it by now; I would be cross if my tenants had to wait.

Mind you, we rent abroad, and I had to wait 3 months for my landlord to come and put in new sink units in the bathroom where they had fallen off the wall. Luckily, we also have a shower room so ablutions and teeth cleaning could still occur, much to ds's disgust!

cowboylover Sun 16-Oct-11 23:38:26

No I would not think you where unreasonable to ask for an update or a call to ask if the electrician had been booked yet.

As far as a tenant doing it themselves I would rather someone qualified do it incase they bodged it (no reflection on your DIY skills) but can't be too careful with gas or electric in my ex agent and LL opinion.

Gonzo33 Mon 17-Oct-11 12:32:22

Call the LA. My LA didn't let me know that the extractor fan had stopped working in my let house and the "qualified" electrician tenant replaced it. Except he wired it in wrong and nearly caused a fire angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now