Advanced search

Has anyone got any ideas why my buyer would want to do this?

(10 Posts)
PaigeThumbScrewTurner Sat 15-Oct-11 14:39:28

Been under offer since late August, all enquiries have been answered, everything ready to go my end, and the buyers have had their mortgage offer.

Now I learn that they have sent their survey to the mortgage company this week, I don't know why they would do this if the company have said yes to the loan already and the valuation survey was fine?

Any ideas on what they would be hoping to achieve with this move?

DorisVinyard Sat 15-Oct-11 16:11:23

I thought the survey was commissioned by the mortgage provider and that they would have had sight of it before making the offer. Are you sure it's the house survey they've sent?

LIZS Sat 15-Oct-11 16:20:03

Did they have more than one survey done? If so the first may have raised an issue(ie. if roof needs repairs) and second is to clarify that to prevent mortgage co witholding part of the loan. Or maybe they just thought they should ?

Pancakeflipper Sat 15-Oct-11 16:27:31

Has the mortgage company asked for it?

PaigeThumbScrewTurner Sat 15-Oct-11 16:39:28

Yes the valuation and the survey were done by the same person so they have obviously seen all the points raised and still okayed the loan with no problems. My EA said the buyers wanted the mortgage company to look at the survey - he was stumped as to why, as well.

To be honest, they are very 'thorough' first time buyers, but I have a sinking feeling they are trying to delay exchange and it's making me nervous.

For example, they want to get a quote for the few urgent points raised in the survey (about 2.5K shared with other freeholders as far as I can tell from online quotes, so not roof falling down/subsidence), but the builder has not kept any of their appointments for the last three weeks - why not get another builder???

Feel like telling them to shit or get off the pot!

PaigeThumbScrewTurner Sat 15-Oct-11 16:47:44

Sorry I meant okayed the valuation and the mortgage company have agreed the loan.

HoneyPablo Sat 15-Oct-11 17:02:29

I wonder if the mortgage company are with-holding part of the mortgage advance until the work has been done? They may be trying to negotiate a new mortgage or want to reduce the offer. Who is paying for the repairs?

tyler80 Sat 15-Oct-11 17:03:45

When we bought, survey came back fine, but results of some of the searches (in our case the coal authority search) had to be sent to the bank to ensure they were still willing to lend. Could it be something similar?

PaigeThumbScrewTurner Sat 15-Oct-11 17:57:56

The buyers and the existing freeholders would be doing the repairs.

I guess the bank could have requested it, but it didn't sound like it from what EA said. I think they are trying to get the valuation reduced so they can offer less.

In which case I will tell them where to go as I have already done 3K work on the property before putting it on the market, and have accepted 8% below asking as is.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gonzo33 Sun 16-Oct-11 06:43:43

Many lenders will agree a mortgage with a "rentention". If this is the case the buyers may well be sending the second report to the lender to try and get the retention lifted. Your EA may not be privvy to this information as this is more a lender/solicitor/mortgage consultant situation.

Try not to worry about it too much at this stage. Moving is a stressful business as it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now