Talk

Advanced search

Can I get your oppinions on this property please!

(48 Posts)
MrsVidic Fri 14-Oct-11 14:56:05

barn

We are considering our finances as its top of our budget

What do I need to consider- its a big jump up the ladder for us
We have 2 dd's both under 3.
Can you spot any down sides- I've been a bit too romanced by it.

Akandra Fri 14-Oct-11 15:15:25

Well you know better than us if the size and location are right. My only concern would be the upstairs layout as it looks like 2 good sized rooms and 2
box rooms. Also as a new build you need to be aware there will be snagging to be done and you will have to chase the developers to get them to do it. But it's a lovely property.

I say this from the point of view of someone who is choosing a house right now - trace over the floor plans and draw your furniture/layout on there. Then check any measurements you are worried about. With a tape measure if the room is an odd shape.

Is it bigger for that extra cash? If not think carefully as you are paying for the finish and you can put that finish onto another larger house. I have what I call my inspiration file. Pretty properties that aren't worth the money.

AMumInScotland Fri 14-Oct-11 15:20:49

The small bedrooms would worry me a little - they would be pretty small singles at those dimensions. So would you give the girls those each, and keep the other big room as a guest room? Or have them share the big one, and not have a useful spare room?

It does look lovely though!

Jbck Fri 14-Oct-11 15:29:35

The bedroom sizes would concern me if there is no storage in any of the rooms, from the description it doesn't sound like it. A 12 ft square room sounds lovely & big till you need to put a wardrobe, chest of drawers etc in it. With the children you'll need toy storage as well as clothes.

It's also incredibly close to the house next door. I think for the size of property and the situation, I'd rather have a bit more space between properties.

It does look beautifully finished but I personally wouldn't go for something with 2 bedrooms that small, one I could live with.

ruddynorah Fri 14-Oct-11 15:31:25

It's somewhat disappointing as a barn conversion, not very pretty from the outside and featureless inside. Nice big garden though.

Witchathulu Fri 14-Oct-11 15:42:22

Yes, I was going to agree with ruddynorah here, a bit, I'm afraid - it's ok, and I suppose it must be rather featureless in order to sell, and as it's new, but there's nothing that says 'wow' about the place really - but if you can see it being a 'wow' place for you, then go for it. Didn't see where it was either, which is a massive chunk of price allocations. Will take another look after I've posted a link to my own flat for judgement! in a minute!

thestringcheesemassacre Fri 14-Oct-11 15:47:08

I think it's a bit featureless but I also think they have no pictures or artwork or anything in there to make it look like a home. I do understand the house doctor principle but here I think it is one step too far in this case.

If the box rooms are too small, could you knock them into one large room and get them to share? My mate did this with her house and her girls were v happy to share.

SolarPrestigeAGammon Fri 14-Oct-11 15:49:21

I think it's criminal. It could have been a nice living space, instead the frickin "developers" have tried to cram so much into it.

Small windows, small rooms, cheaply done. I'd run a mile. Looks like an upmarket council estate sadly.

Witchathulu Fri 14-Oct-11 15:50:43

Yeah, I think, like everyone else, I'd personally want a little bit more bedroom space for the kids, but I suppose there aren't many properties that are new barn conversions with this many bedrooms. Obviously, it's going to be a personal matter, if you love it, you'll go for it!

mollymole Fri 14-Oct-11 15:51:02

the rooms seem a bit small and is there enough space for wardrobes, chests
of drawers etc in the bedrooms, and it is featureless, but some people like plain and clean lines, not from your area so can't comment on the price

SolarPrestigeAGammon Fri 14-Oct-11 15:52:58

House prices are coming down. Why don't you rent for a year and then you'll not be in such a rush and you'll probably find somewhere twice as good, for half the price.

GrendelsMum Fri 14-Oct-11 16:05:05

forget the romance of it being a barn conversion and focus on it as a house. I think that from the photos it's quite a disappointment - there seems to be no sense of character or individuality to the place at all, so you've got all the downsides of a conversion in terms of small windows and awkward rooms, without the upsides of a grand space. And it does seem rather close to the neighbours.

minipie Fri 14-Oct-11 16:44:41

Yes agree with the others.

If you think of it as a new build then it's not bad. Nice big garden, nice old bricks. I think the layout is quite practical (though I'd probably knock through the breakfast and dining room to make a family room).

If you think of it as a barn conversion then it doesn't really fit the bill - close neighbours, small windows and rooms, no period features inside etc. Though the nice old bricks on the outside are prettier than new build bricks.

It really depends on whether you are paying a premium for the barn factor or not. I wouldn't - I don't think you'd get any such premium back on resale because people looking for barn conversions I suspect would usually want more period features. But if there is no price premium for that then it's not a bad new build option.

SolarPrestigeAGammon Fri 14-Oct-11 17:08:27

...and it's very worrying that they don't put room measurements in their plans. I would NEVER buy a living room that looks like that...long and thin and narrow. It's looks like cheap council house.

Save your money!

MrsVidic Fri 14-Oct-11 17:24:22

Thanks for your views- were viewing tomorrow

We know the location and its one of the best areas tbh- good schools, fantastic train links and close to work etc. It is in a village which is why its so expensive. To be honest my DP is mad on it as he is OCD about cleanliness etc so the fact it has been developed is its key feature (without being a new build) We would never buy a place which needs work as we r not diy-ers at all. Really stresses my DP out.

We have looked through the windows etc (very keen etc) and the sizes look quite big,

however, what do you think of this barn as an alternative. Good area but very rural and lack of outside space- yet we have looked at the outside and if you put a gate on it its workable.

MrsVidic Fri 14-Oct-11 17:25:31

To be honest DP prefers the first as the area is so good- he is from this area where as I moved down here.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 14-Oct-11 17:29:34

The living room is a horrible shape, long and narrow. They've only just fitted a two seater and two armchairs in. I don't see how it could be really comfortable for a family of four,

LIZS Fri 14-Oct-11 17:33:02

Think the second is nicerthan the first tbh, looks better fitted out. Agree the first looks incongruous with the area around it and bedrooms look awkward shapes. How big is garden in second or just what you can see to the side ?

I much prefer the second one.

The first one's got no character. No soul.

said Fri 14-Oct-11 17:35:31

There's no fireplace or focal point in the living room - it looks like a corridor to me. And even the 3rd bedroom is small for a house of that size. Second one has a nicer feel but I'll be so glad when beige/coffee/truffle etc are out of fashion

fresh Fri 14-Oct-11 17:39:15

I prefer the second one as well, the living room is much better (the first living room would be very difficult to furnish without making it two 'zones'). You could knock thru the kitchen and dining room in the second to make a great family room, then the living room could be a grownups haven.

narmada Fri 14-Oct-11 17:39:58

I would be wary of any developers who have fitted a glow=worm boiler! They are cheap and apparently (according to our heating engineer) unreliable. Also, check out why there is a water tank - is it a non-combi-type boiler? Are there any issues with the water pressure? I could be talking out of my backside here but having just had a new boiler, these sorts of things are uppermost in my mind (I am so boring!)

The living room is an odd shape and the bedrooms are very small - particularly the master and especially if there's no built-in cupboards as someone else mentioned.

pinkhebe Fri 14-Oct-11 17:41:42

I like the second best. Far more character and looks much more spacious.

MrsVidic Fri 14-Oct-11 17:47:08

the garden in the 2nd is the gravel area only.
the thing is its in the country side not a village- the first is in a village.
So I am torn between wanting a barn 2 but in barn 1 location grin
Which would you prefer having to drive all the time for barn 2, plus lack of garden or having the better location- walksable schools, college and my work

coccyx Fri 14-Oct-11 17:48:33

Prefer the second, but whats the building 'attached' to the fence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now