Talk

Advanced search

I'm being charged 8% to extend tenancy renewal fees!

(12 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Wed 12-Oct-11 17:01:42

Hi all,

I am renting my flat out via an estate agent (without any management fees). The lease is due to come up for renewal. I've just had a call from the estate agent who found me a tenant last year. They are proposing to charge me 8% of annual rent income to renew the lease. I think that this is a complete rip off as I paid them last year 12% for finding the tenant.

Please can you advice me of what my options are? Must I renew the lease through them (apprently renewal fees are in the small print of the contract)? She is telling me that I will be in breach of contract if I try & sign him up myself as they found the tenant..... furthermore she gave me a huge spiel about security depoist scheme etc.

What would you do?

Thanks.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 12-Oct-11 19:21:01

I would ask for a written quote to end the contract. That should knock them into at least reducing the 8%. However round here you have to pay 8% or thereabouts anyway for management fees so I think you've done pretty well (thought not with the 12% for finding the tenant.)

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 13-Oct-11 09:54:24

Thanks so much for your advice. I have just e-mailed the agent asking for a quote to terminate the agreement & will have to wait for their response now.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 13-Oct-11 09:55:09

BTW, I am managing the flat myself. I guess it serves me right for not reading the small print!

PanicMode Thu 13-Oct-11 12:33:12

My parents got caught in the same way - it's buried in the small print. For as long as the tenants which the agents found are in occupation, they have to pay 8% per annum - even if my parents terminate the contract. It's iniquitous, but common with London agents, so it's a good lesson on reading small print.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 13-Oct-11 12:47:59

I know, it just doesn't seem fair..... now I'm stomping my feet!

Well, I am hoping to hear back from the EA. Will update this thread once I get an answer.

Toughasoldboots Thu 13-Oct-11 13:01:15

Can you not let in turn into rolling contract ( which is what would happen if you didn't renew contract)?

Maybe as the other poster said, they have it covered in contract but I successfully challenged this as a tenant and didn't pay.

I bet they will be demanding money from your tenant too. OFT have indicated concern about this practice but as far as I know it is legal if in contract.

PanicMode Thu 13-Oct-11 13:17:57

Even if you turned it into a rolling contract, for as long as the original tenants are in occupation, the agents will charge an annual fee.....

Toughasoldboots Thu 13-Oct-11 13:31:42

No- they don't. They will do if it is in the contract, but they can't legally insist on it for renewing a tenancy if they are not renewing a tenancy.

Op- you will have to check exactly what it says in contract and whether this fee is an annual cost or a tenancy renewal.

I rent and am also a landlord, google foxtons for this and OFT.

An annual fee is different to a renewal of tenancy.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 13-Oct-11 13:33:48

Toughasoldboots - I have been thinking about periodic tenancy but am worried about the 1 month notice that the tenants gives if they want to move out. I'm more comfortable with the current 2 months notice.

Panic, my understanding is that if it goes into periodic tenancy then there is no charge.... I ahve asked this but they still haven't confirmed it in writing.

There is no way that I can get out of this contract is there? sad

PanicMode Thu 13-Oct-11 14:02:19

My parents asked this (I am a chartered surveyor so gave the same advice) but because of the way their contract is worded, they ARE still due a fee.

Check your contract and see what it actually says.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 13-Oct-11 14:25:53

Thanks Panic. I'll be checking it tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now