Talk

Advanced search

Only one week in and want to throttle EA

(9 Posts)
Primafacie Wed 12-Oct-11 14:07:10

Four times already they have booked a viewing and either cancelled at the last minute or just didn't show up angry. I have a 2 YO and five month baby, everytime they book a viewing I need to put away tons of stuff (as baby currently sleeps in the living room) AND arrange childcare to get them out of the house. Baby still wakes up loads at night, I am shattered and feel I am doing all of this for nothing.

Aaaaaaargh, just needed to rant.

afussyphase Wed 12-Oct-11 14:24:41

I am seriously not convinced that EAs are worth paying for! As a buyer we also found them incredibly frustrating and there are a number of occasions where we know they have outright lied to us. Obviously this doesn't help sell as the buyer will find out eventually and is more likely to pull out later, if they've been misled. I'm curious, would you consider one of those online services that basically put your property up on rightmove and the other relevant sites, but then you arrange viewings etc yourself? Seems to be all EAs do is advertise (often best done online IMO), take pictures (often bad ones!), put out a floor plan (not hard to do yourself), and then obstruct the process in one way or another. Grrr.

cowboylover Wed 12-Oct-11 17:50:30

Have they commented why?
I used to work in an EA and was constantly surprised by the amount of no shows we would have until we started doing reminder calls the day before ect so worth checking if they are doing that to make sure it's reducing the chances.

A good agent is worth every penny but a bad one needs replacing ASAP as there are so many out there now needing the work. I am wary of the do it yourself type ones as they won't have the mailing list/contacts ect

Ladymuck Wed 12-Oct-11 21:44:59

Our agent has been fab.

But now we are buying, and in the end I have had to resort to stalking the vendor to contact him directly as the agent is just useless - doesn't return calls, won't leave messages, just doesn't follow anything up. I spent around 2 hours today trying to make an offer on an house - he was just slippery and elusive.

Have decided I'm going into the agents tomorrow and not leaving until we have an agreed offer, or have hit our ceiling. Am brining kindle, knitting, a kettle and a sleeping bag!

SolarPrestigeAGammon Thu 13-Oct-11 02:17:16

Get rid of a bad agent. Why don't you try Sarah Beeney's free website - Tepilo. You've nothing to lose and the more people who use it the more well known it will become.

danceingqueen Thu 13-Oct-11 12:33:11

Im an agent ,and have been for 19years.Not all EA are the same.Like everything in life you have good and bad.Yes Sarah Beeney has a website and agian like everything in life nothing is ever free.

SolarPrestigeAGammon Sat 15-Oct-11 04:52:25

Dancingqueen - our old neighbours sold their house via Tepilo. The site was free plus they saved themselves thousands of pounds as they didn't have to use an EA for marketing.

Primafacie Wed 26-Oct-11 00:23:26

Just thought I would update. I blew a fuse at EA, they pulled their act together and we got an offer today grin.

From a cash buyer grin grin

So we gazumped put in an offer on the house we fell in love with and it looks like it will be accepted blush smile

Thanks everyone for listening to my rant!

Gonzo33 Wed 26-Oct-11 10:53:46

Good to hear a success story. I hope everything goes smoothly for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now