Talk

Advanced search

Cost of a kitchen extension

(7 Posts)
Lucyannieamy Tue 11-Oct-11 22:56:58

Thinking about putting a 3 m extension across the back of the house-(5m wide) a 1930's terraced in north london, and put in a new kitchen. Do you think it could be done for £20-£25k? Any tips for keeping the cost down, or any tips for things worth spending extra on?

Pendeen Wed 12-Oct-11 00:02:25

Rates for extensions vary tremendously with location, size, complexity, local market (availability of work), as well as the more general economic factors however I have had jobs costing - per square metre - between £850 and £2,500 which is quite a range. Flat roofed, cavity wall construction, no problems with Listed Building or Party Wall matters, with the builder doing all the work including fitting out, decorating etc.

These are based on a variety of projects in west Cornwall all competitively tendered. Add approximately 20% - 40% for south east England.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

workshy Wed 12-Oct-11 00:04:46

is that including the cost of the new kitchen?

depending on the spec (worktop quality/appliances etc) you would be looking at 5-10k for the kitchen without any building work

libbyssister Wed 12-Oct-11 00:11:38

We had a kitchen extension about 5 years ago on our Victorian terrace. The ground work was about 10 grand. The regulations on how deep the foundations mean that it costs quite a lot just to get to the flat concrete base stage...and then they start building...

Lucyannieamy Wed 12-Oct-11 15:08:37

Thanks, yes £20-25k was to include the cost of the kitchen units and appliances. I guess it would be a flat roof. Going to get an architect to look at it, hope they don't laugh out our budget thou

Smum99 Wed 12-Oct-11 18:34:57

It's likely to be very tight on a 25k budget - factors which get overlooked, kitchen, electrics, cost of flooring, any changes to drains (will add at least 10%).
What type of soil you have (clay isn't good as they have to dig deeper).
Think about windows or french doors (they will be at least 1k). I think a basic kitchen with appliances will be closer to 10k.
Remember you will have planning fees, for application and for building regulations and that could be 2k (costs are council specific). You will then need to add in architect or technical drawing costs. For an extn your size you might be able to use permitted development - check on council web site but it will be still be over 1k.

Thing to realise it will cost more then you expect and costs have gone up considerable over the last few years. You could get a builder to quote - they will have a good view of build costs.

Pendeen Thu 13-Oct-11 10:33:17

As my earlier post - if your extension is 15 sq m then, based on tenders I have received for several 'simple' extensions over that last 5 years, you would be looking at a range between £13,000 and £37,000 - West Cornwall rates.

As above - I believe the rates for the south east and London are considerably higher. sad

Plus the units. For a kitchen extension the cost of the units alone can vary by over 500% depending on quality, layout, appliances and so on.

If you are looking to use an Architect, as a (rough) guide for when you discuss fees - agree the extent of their service before proceeding.

I usually quote for 3 bands:

1. 'Basic' plan drawing for Building Regulation approval where the client sumbits the application. If I handled the application I would usually add another £200 to the fee.

2. 'Design', where I would do the above plus produce a construction specification sufficient for tender.

My involvement would cease at these points.

3. 'Full servce.' All the above plus Contract Administraton.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now