Talk

Advanced search

What are your best tips for designing a bathroom that will be easy to clean?

(8 Posts)
PetiteMum Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:22

you guessed it, makeover is planned!

Gotarty Tue 11-Oct-11 21:16:33

Water softener if you are in a hard water area. You can get a coating on the glass screens to repel water stains.

Gotarty Tue 11-Oct-11 21:17:24

Oh and back to wall toilet so you don't have the gubbins to deal with at the back.

Mammonite Tue 11-Oct-11 21:35:23

No carpet.

The larger the tiles the better (as it's the grout that gets dirty not the tiles)

Pay attention to your shower screen as to whether it has loads of edges and inaccessible crevices. - I guess rimless glass is ideal.

Good ventilation to keep the damp/mould at bay.

I expect a panelled bath is easier to deal with than a freestanding one.

Don't allow any males to use it.

fresh Tue 11-Oct-11 22:35:38

Fully tiled. Conceal all the pipework, and the cistern. I have had the coating on the shower screens which is supposed to keep them clean (and we have a water softener) but they still get marked, so I'd save your money. And consider dark tiles on the floor with dark grout - in fact whatever colour your floor tiles, have dark grout (trust me, it can work with pale tiles!). And I second Mammonite ref large tiles.

Lucyannieamy Tue 11-Oct-11 23:07:22

Did our bathroom last year, this was my big thing. Get sink wall hung with half pedestal and your pipes all chopped in. Toilet with cistern back to wall. We had space for a walk in shower and just have a pane of glass floor to ceiling, no shower door with hinges to clean. Lino floor, especially if bathroom isn't on the sunny side of house, warmer and easier to clean. Opaque sticky vinyl for the window, not blinds. Bath tap with shower attachment, even if you have separate shower, much easier to rinse the bath after cleaning

Primafacie Wed 12-Oct-11 01:38:25

Plenty of cupboards - under the sink, over the toilet, and mirrored cupboard over sink. Then you can keep cleaning supplies, toilet rolls and beauty/pharmacy products out of sight.

I second fully tiled. Dark/terracotta grout works great with white wall tiles. Go with large/dark floor tiles, something that looks like slate but won't require sealing every six months.

No males to use it smile I have exclusive use of our en suite and the last time the plumber came he said I should enter it into a 'cleanest bathroom of the year' competition grin <shameless boast as really quite messy in RL>

draliciac Wed 12-Oct-11 05:31:36

white ceramic tiles work great, little or no clutter, no shower glass and no males males for sure...get them a tree...or tell him to get you a maid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now