Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me your removal company please!

(13 Posts)
crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 16:57:11

We used Pickfords last time and they were brill, but I've just had an extortionate quote from them for this move. Looking for a cheaper option.

We will be packing everything ourselves.

Any recommendations? We are in south London and moving to Surrey.

minipie Mon 10-Oct-11 18:14:45

Moving Home Company. I've used them and so have 2 friends, they were great each time. Dunno how the prices compare to Pickfords but they were the cheapest quote we got for a move from N to S London.

mashpot Mon 10-Oct-11 18:34:06

We recently moved within South London and used Aussie removals (quote was almost half the cost of pickfords) and I was really impressed with them. 2 nice, polite guys who did a thorough job.

crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 18:38:44

Awesome, I've just arranged Aussie to come out and quote on Weds. They were very helpful on the phone.

WomanwiththeYellowHat Mon 10-Oct-11 20:32:30

We used Bishop's Move. They were the cheapest (which I think was partly because we were moving on a Tuesday, so not a busy moving day like a Fri or Sat, and I told them I would be making the decision purely on price grin.

They were fine at the packing etc - cut it a bit fine I felt but we do have 2 toddlers and did have a lot of stuff 'hidden' behind / under other stuff (although I did keep telling them that). BUT the main thing for us was that we moved in the snow last year and they were brilliant about actually getting the van to our house and getting the stuff out. Lovely customer service too.

nowwearefour Mon 10-Oct-11 20:33:42

i would say dont use britannia sandersteads. we received two recommendations before using them but they were utterly careless and damaged at least two v expensive pieces of furniture. Definitely not them!

nowwearefour Mon 10-Oct-11 20:34:29

make sure you get a complete price as we found when getting quotes that so many gave a basic price with loads of add ons and we feared forgetting something that would be added on on the day and bumping the price right back up to equal to the other quotes!

ristretto Mon 10-Oct-11 20:44:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 20:57:50

thank you thank you... yes I noticed on the Pickfords quote there were loads of added extras. We'd have spent £2k before we knew it shock. We have a small 3 bed house and we do not have a lot of clutter at all! They were taking the piss I think. Move Consultant came round and saw we had a baby and a toddler and probably thought, 'right, goldmine, they won't want to lift a finger' hmm

SazZaVoom Mon 10-Oct-11 20:59:39

Bishops Move or GB Liners are both worth a quote from

ImTheMap Mon 10-Oct-11 21:00:00

We used Britannia recently. Fantastic service. I even called the boss to tell him I was so satisfied!

Kandinsky Mon 10-Oct-11 21:15:01

We recently moved and used Bishop's Move. They were really good. We had them pack for us and they were so professional and although not the cheapest quote we had massively undercut Brittannia and Pickfords.

notcitrus Mon 10-Oct-11 21:35:00

Six Keys, based in Acton and various other bases round London.

I have never been so happy to give people £1000 - they held a slot open for us for ages, came round every few days to assess our packing progress and give us new boxes and tell us how much it would be for them to pack the rest (we packed about half our crowded maisonette, they did the rest), were great with the fish tank, and worked 7am to 9pm and refused a tip.

So I try to recommend them whereever possible. smile We moved from west to South London so I assume they'd do you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now