Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Drilling on a Sunday

(6 Posts)
schroeder Sun 09-Oct-11 20:11:02

My neighbours has been re-furbishing their terrace house for 9 months. They do not live there, but just come over to do the work. The work has been in fits and starts and is very loud.

I have been understanding, I have not complained I have only spoken to them a few times, but they seem nice.

However, I once had to ask them to move some stuff that they had dumped in our garden, as I couldn't get to the washing line and this was greeted with quantities of eye rolling and sarcastic comments about the state of our garden from the new owners Father, who seems to be doing much of the work.

Since then I have not said anything, but I wonder if there's anything I can do legally about them drilling from 9-5.30 several Sundays in a row. It makes it impossible for us to talk to each other or relax and having guests is out.

dexter73 Sun 09-Oct-11 21:13:37

If you look on your council website they may have a guide. This is ours -
Reasonable hours for carrying out these activities include:

Weekdays - 9am to 7pm
Saturdays - 9am to 5pm
Sundays - 10am to 2pm
Please note these times are not legal limits, but are suggested as a sensible approach. It can also be very helpful to talk to your neighbours first before you start any DIY work.

schroeder Sun 09-Oct-11 21:24:05

Yes, I looked at the local council website and it says that building work must not be carried out on a Sunday at all.

I wasn't sure though that this applied to DIY if you know what I mean?

Pendeen Mon 10-Oct-11 11:12:40

".. building work must not be carried out on a Sunday at all .."

I have not seen that before and I would suspect it is unenforceable. How shops or other commercial premises are expected to have building work undertaken if councils tried to promote that is beyond me.

I would say that it is reasonable for DIY jobs to be carried out at weekends as the neighbours are probably at work during the week but YWNBU to complain as the DIY has been going on for months and months.

As far as your neighbour's father greeting you with: "..^quantities of eye rolling and sarcastic comments about the state of our garden ^ .." when he had dumped stuff in your garden, what a monumental cheek!

schroeder Mon 10-Oct-11 12:59:20

Indeed! I'm really trying to be reasonable about all this work, but they really haven't shown us any consideration.

We haven't complained about the noise once. But I have had to write my essays at the library and put off visitors because of the noise; it is not an inconsiderable inconvenience.

ElsieMc Mon 10-Oct-11 13:26:30

Selfish, cheeky swines. Complain now, nine months is intolerable. They are very inconsiderate neighbours and you need to put your foot down. Start my reporting the noise nuisance to the Council as it can also be noise levels as well as the times when work is carried out. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now