Talk

Advanced search

When to put property up for sale?

(6 Posts)
uptightmama Wed 05-Oct-11 22:21:53

Want to move to be in catchment before dd starts middle school in Y5. Would need to be in place before the middle of Jan of her being in Y4. Our house is shared ownership and so people don;t need much deposit t buy our home and it is in a nice area so I don't think it would take ages to sell and we would have to go with a proper valuation done by the housing association so think would not be allowed to overprice it even if we wanted. When do you think would be a good time to put it on the market? She is currently in Y2. Thanks

Gonzo33 Thu 06-Oct-11 13:27:03

Oh goodness, I am in a similar situation regarding schools, only for senior school. We are planning to move and settle before our ds is in yr 8, so house is going on the market in February and once it is sold we will look (he is in yr 6 currently). We are fortunate enough that we get a house with hubby's job (although we do pay for it)

Ladymuck Thu 06-Oct-11 13:57:00

So you need to be in place by Jan 2014?

To be honest, unless you're willing to disclose the area then you'll need to go and talk to agents, as there seems to be real variation as to how prices are doing in different areas, even with just a few miles making a lot of difference.

uptightmama Thu 06-Oct-11 18:39:53

yes Ladymama I know it is a long way off and is advance planning! there are a few bits we need to do decoration wise before would be putting it up for sale. Just thinking would it be best to allow a full year?

SparklePrincess Thu 06-Oct-11 20:47:38

Do it asap. Better safe than sorry. I put my house on the market in March expecting to be moved or at least exchange of contracts by secondary school admission deadline of end of October. We sale agreed in July, & chances are we will still not be moved in time for the deadline so dd will go on a waiting list. sad

Seagal Fri 07-Oct-11 04:33:33

Yes I agree with SparkleP. & Gonzo, list your house asap.

A year should be more than sufficient, but you don't know how long the chain will be and what issues will crop up between the parties, which will inevitably delay your chain.

My house went on the market in June, sale agreed with first buyer in July, who subsequently dropped out due family reasons. Second buyer found month later. We are in a chain of 4 and hopefully will exchange this month and complete next month??

In time for schools admissons deadline in Janaury. No-one wants to be a late schools applicant, because no doubt good schools are always full.

So your pre-planning, will allow you plenty of time for the ups and downs of house selling/buying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now