Talk

Advanced search

Is there a website where I can get details of a house recently sold?

(14 Posts)
nondomesticgoddess Tue 04-Oct-11 16:59:06

It was sold in July and I don't know which estate agents it was with. I've got the sold price from Zoopla but it went for a very low price and I want to know why - thought photos might help. Is there a way of finding old details?

Our house is very similar and we've had an offer and the potential buyers are using this house as a comparison. I want to know what reasons I can give for the low sale price of the other house...

Sorry for rambling!

said Tue 04-Oct-11 17:20:46

Can you not ask the estate agent for the details?

dinkystinky Tue 04-Oct-11 17:25:54

They shouldnt use it as a comparison - there could have been any number of issues (esp structural issues) with it.

nondomesticgoddess Tue 04-Oct-11 17:29:17

I don't remember ever seeing it on Rightmove. I don't know which agent it went with. I'm wondering if it was a private sale and that's why the price was low - they were saving on EA fees!

Am planning on popping round and seeing if I can bring myself to ask! Desperate times call for desperate measures!

said Tue 04-Oct-11 17:35:35

Sorry, misread your OP

ElderberrySyrup Tue 04-Oct-11 18:07:40

I was going to say you should ask the owners. They might be friendly, but if they tell you to piss off who cares, you don't even know them.

minipie Tue 04-Oct-11 18:13:05

Have you tried google searching for the details? Something like "X road, 4 bed house, sale" might well bring it up - IF it was on with an agent that is. Of course it will also bring up yours, but keep looking and you might find theirs.

mylovelymonster Tue 04-Oct-11 18:38:48

Zoopla have historic listings. If you look up sold prices for the postcode/address you may be able to look at it's listing and details/asking price etc.
Would be useful if it had a floorplan/size of rooms then floor area comparison with your house could be useful in assessing how comparable they are, also age/modernity of decor may be covered with photos.

It is useful to take into account precedented sold prices in the vicinity of a house offering on - after all that is also used (supposedly) to value the next house for the market.

nondomesticgoddess Tue 04-Oct-11 18:50:56

I was brave! I went round and luckily the new owner was happy to spill the beans. Basiaclly, a very long and convoluted story but the chain was in threat and to save it all buyers in the chain increased their amounts and the vendors took an extra £15,000 on top of the 'Zoopla' price.

Phew - now I just have to expalin it all to our potential buyers!

Ellefabulosa Tue 04-Oct-11 19:10:44

The zoopla price should be the land registry price - doesn't quite sound right. Rightmove show the old listings

aylsham Tue 04-Oct-11 19:13:48

Try www.houseprices.co.uk - they have all the historical data. Just put in the postcoe or street name and town. Zoopla are slower to update than houseprices.co.uk and sometimes give an estimated value from a previous sale.

theyoungvisiter Tue 04-Oct-11 19:14:51

Hmm, agree with Elle, Zoopla should be showing the land reg price. Have you tried comparing with a site like houseprice.co.uk which should also show the land reg price? This is the sold price - not the asking price.

One possibility is they might have done something dodgy with the £15k to avoid paying stamp duty on it - like called it a payment for the carpets or something.

This is somewhat illegal though.

theyoungvisiter Tue 04-Oct-11 19:16:37

oh yes apols it's housepriceS with an S as per aylsham's price.

Your EA should be politely telling them to eff off though, and producing documentation to support their own valuation (ie sold prices of comparable properties in comparable states of repair).

The exact price of a house is fairly meaningless without knowing the state of repair and circumstances of the sale.

theyoungvisiter Tue 04-Oct-11 19:17:04

as per Aylsham's POST.

Christ, sorry, this is what you get for typing with screaming toddlers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now