Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a sludgy/neutral ish for DS bedroom (probably F&B)

(5 Posts)
kitsmummy Tue 04-Oct-11 12:31:35

Hello, looking for a recommendation for a neutral/sludge colour (but not a full on brown or coffee colour) for DS's bedroom. He has white curtains with a red and blue stripe in them and a traditional black and brass bedstead with white bedlinen. I say probably F&B because most of our house is, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I know it doesn't sound particularly childlike, but as the room will be covered in Doctor Who pics, then I'm after something fairly pleasing to my eye for the paint!

minipie Tue 04-Oct-11 13:46:48

Hmm. If the curtains are white with red and blue stripe (ie clean colours), a very sludgy colour could look odd.

I would go for a grey with blue tones in it. I highly recommend Little Greene's French Grey (comes in pale, mid and dark versions). It's a nice neutral but not too sludgey to go with clean colours. Cornforth White (F&B) is another good bluey grey, perhaps a little more purpley.

I really like Skimming Stone (pale mauvey grey), Elephant's Breath (browny grey), Stony Ground (greeny brown), Dove Tail (purpley grey) - but I'm not sure if they would go with those curtains?

Proon Tue 04-Oct-11 13:50:12

Elephant's Breath - what we had when we moved in.
(I've since painted it Light Blue and I'd recommend that as it's lovely, but it's not sludgey or neutral, just very pleasing and goes with red.)

kitsmummy Tue 04-Oct-11 18:47:39

That Little Greene colour is lovely, may get a tester of that for our bedroom I think. We used Cornforth White in our last house (bedroom) which was also great. I don't know why but for some reason I don't really fancy grey in DS bedroom. Am going to do a pale grey in DD room though. We already have elephants breath in our front room so I'll try some of that on the wall, see if it's looking grey or brown in his room!

the curtains are pretty similar to this but without the beige, but i had in mind that a beige ish paint would therefore go with the curtains!

the light blue is really nice, but i don't want the room to look too nautical iykwim. thanks for the help so far!

minipie Tue 04-Oct-11 20:49:51

Ah ok the fabric is a bit more subtle than I was picturing.

Beige probably would go with it but ... I'm not a huge fan of beige on walls, they just look dirty to me. But if you want some, have a look at Lime White or Clunch by F&B. Both are sort of beigey colours. I've just painted over Lime White though with Wimborne White and it's sooo much nicer IMO.

Skimming Stone might fit your bill quite well actually.

Or, how about a cleaner creamy colour, like Wimborne White, White Tie or Pointing. Think those would go nicely with the curtains without being grubby. Or nautical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now