Talk

Advanced search

Skip hire

(15 Posts)
startail Sun 02-Oct-11 16:53:18

Has anyone done this lately? Not one of the web sites will give even a hint of a price. I'd be really grateful if some on could give me a ball park figure before I spend hours typing in my details to local firms. Thanks

Madlizzy Sun 02-Oct-11 16:55:08

Around £120 for a medium size skip here in the north west.

Shodan Sun 02-Oct-11 16:57:09

We had the smallest size recently- four cubic yard (8ft 5 x 5 x 3) and it was £145. That's in Surrey- no idea if prices differ around the country.

Shodan Sun 02-Oct-11 16:57:51

grin Obviously they do!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 02-Oct-11 16:58:34

I had one last year, £150 for an "ordinary" sized skip. (Central Scotland.)

CointreauVersial Sun 02-Oct-11 16:59:48

Surrey here - we had a six-yard one (medium-sized) for about £170.

DaisySteiner Sun 02-Oct-11 19:59:45

I would strongly recommend phoning round a few different companies as the price can vary quite a bit. Think it can also depend on what you put in it.

startail Mon 03-Oct-11 01:05:31

Thank you! big bunches of MN flowers for you all well I would if the iPod app had themsmile
So I'm looking at about £150 given I'm not in London or Scotland, but I'm not right next to any depots either.
Nothing particularly weird to go in it mostly an old shed, cardboard and a dead bike.

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Oct-11 12:52:25

I didn't bother with a skip when we did our bathroom up - just left everything in a pile in front of the house and the gypsies had most of it. grin

plumtart Tue 04-Oct-11 12:10:22

have you got a car? if so you could save all your skip money by taking bike to metal recycling at tip, card to card recycling and smash shed up and take to wood recycling? would take a few trips but save bit of money.

also look into hippo sack

startail Tue 04-Oct-11 23:38:01

Yes I have a car, but even with the seats down the shed would take at least six trips, probably more. It's extremely mucky and full of nails and would be a bugger to chop up. I also have a garage full of cardboard boxes and junk which I started taking to the tip, but DH seems to buy things on eBay faster than I can loose the boxes. The tip is 12 miles away and there is always a queue. Also it's very near hobbycraft, so there isn't just the cost of petrol to considerwink

LemonDifficult Tue 04-Oct-11 23:56:51

I'm getting one delivered tomorrow - £135.

smartyparts Wed 05-Oct-11 00:05:46

If you haven't too much - I'd second a hippo bag. They take 1 or 1.5 tonnes and are much, much cheaper. In fact I have one full of rubble on my drive now!

They collect very promptly too.

Pendeen Wed 05-Oct-11 18:41:59

Around £130 for a 'medium', i.e. 6 cu yard skip here in the South West.

A suggestion...

If you chat to your neighbours you might be pleasantly surprised that they would like a skip but can't justify hiring one on their own.

Often it's better to hire a larger skip (the cost of delivering is very similar so the bigger the cheaper in £/cu yd/tonne) and share it.

careergirl Wed 05-Oct-11 23:13:28

Northwest - mini skip -£65

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now