Talk

Advanced search

Damp causing mildew - how to insulate? Help!

(9 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sun 02-Oct-11 09:23:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeggyCarter Sun 02-Oct-11 09:29:50

HoneyPablo Sun 02-Oct-11 09:45:05

The mildew and damp is probably caused by lack of ventilation.
You need to let the damp air out (caused by breathing, cooking, etc )and the fresh air in. Opening the windows will get rid of it.

HoneyPablo Sun 02-Oct-11 09:46:30

Forgot to say to wash the mildew off the walls with diluted bleach.

PeggyCarter Sun 02-Oct-11 10:00:09

SaggyHairyArse Sun 02-Oct-11 10:33:28

HP is right re the ventilation and bleach, Wash everything down with bleach to get rid of any spores and ventilate as much as possible. If you can buy a dehumidifier then that would be an idea as it will get worse over the winter.

www.woking.gov.uk/planning/envhealthservice/housing/condensation

fastweb Sun 02-Oct-11 11:35:20

Dehumidifier.

And I don't mean the little 'boxes of salts' ones, I mean the big electric ones.

I think you can get one that cuts out when acceptable levels of air humitdity are reached, so you don't end up with the ' toungue stuck to the roof of your mouth"symdrome.

And leave an air space between furniture and the wall, it doesn't have to be metes of space, but enough to allow circulation.

I find putting "feet" on anything that has its flat bottom directly on the floor helps too so you get virtical circ as well as horizontal.

Start with a fair old gap, more than you are happy with the furniture extruding into the room, and shunt it back a bit once the dehumidfiyer has got rid of the accumulated dampness and is working on maintaining acceptable levels.

A builder may come up with a better long term solution, but it could be much more expensive.

Pendeen Mon 03-Oct-11 16:17:06

Agree with the dehumidifier suggestion.

As a tenant you do not have any building options such as improving background ventilation, improved insulation or better heat distribution etc.

PeggyCarter Mon 03-Oct-11 17:16:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now