Talk

Advanced search

Heaviest stuff in the loft, around the edges or in the middle?

(9 Posts)
HarrietJones Sat 01-Oct-11 18:40:19

Heavy stuff being boxes of books/records. It's boarded with floorboards rather than sheets if that makes a difference?

Or doesn't it matter and I'm overthinking everythingagain

mumblechum1 Sat 01-Oct-11 18:41:16

It doesn't matter. The joists are there to support whatever's there, just make it reasonably evenly distributed.

HettyAmaretti Sat 01-Oct-11 18:41:31

I don't thinj it matters that much TBH, bt if you're worried then over the supporting wall(s) would be best.

HarrietJones Sat 01-Oct-11 18:43:24

Thanks!
If it was a room I wouldn't be querying it would I?
definitely overthinking

Mammonite Sat 01-Oct-11 18:55:05

Edges please! I'm a structural engineer. But don't go mad, maybe 2 boxes high.

Has your loft got trusses (loads of diagonal timbers) or is it mostly open? Ideally the edges at the ends of the floor timbers is best for heavy things.

Houses are very often built with lighter timbers in the lofts to the floors, they are designed for less load.

Our loft is jammed and has cracks in the bedroom ceiling below blush

Mammonite Sat 01-Oct-11 18:56:05

But if you have a loadbearing wall, underneath , the best place is to put boxed directly over it.

HarrietJones Sat 01-Oct-11 19:05:58

Only a small loadbearing wall hmm
Can only go one box high at the edges as it's right in the eaves

We have some cracks which made me think but its more likely to be dh crap plastering as it's mainly the patched up bits

Mammonite Sat 01-Oct-11 19:10:12

On ours the cracks go right across the ceiling at the board joints, quite a giveaway, and are widest in the middle of the room. Generally it's better to put weight near the edges rather than the middle to avoid overstressing the joists, but say the outside third/quarter will still help.

HarrietJones Sat 01-Oct-11 19:13:55

That's , will have a look at the cracks. We have similar in the living room too.

Its a v old house & ceiling were plastered 2-3 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now