Advanced search

Curtain poles with knobs on and a window that goes round the corner?

(12 Posts)
ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 01-Oct-11 08:27:48

There, I saw some OK curtians in Ikea that have big holes at the top which you thread a pole through. I really liked the big hole/pole look.
One end of our living room would be fine for that, it is french windows and flat at the top. The other end has a 90 degree turn in it and the small bit is only about 30cm wide.
How could I over come that. I suppose I could have a pole along the long bit and then hammer in a piece of material or just leave the little bit bare. There is a roller blind up at the moment.

7to25 Sat 01-Oct-11 08:54:17

I presume that you have a square bay window.
You could fit short poles to the two side windows and then pull the curtains back, then for the larger window you could
1/ Continue to use the blind
2/ Fit a longer pole and another pair of curtains
OR Fit the pole outside the whole bay with a couple of curtains on either side.
I think that Roman blinds look best on this style of window.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 01-Oct-11 10:45:09

To complicate things, I only have one small window and I am set on pole thing with big holes in curtains <stubborn>

7to25 Sat 01-Oct-11 13:06:46

You will have to use two poles, a long one and a short one. Put two curtains on the long one, one at either end.
A piece of fabric tacked to the wall would not look great!

SoupDragon Sat 01-Oct-11 13:10:03

I made a curtain pole for a square bay out of copper pipe and 90degree elbow joints which I then spray painted.

7to25 Sat 01-Oct-11 14:09:42

Soup dragon, how did you attach the pole to the window frame so that the curtains could close?

amazonianwoman Sat 01-Oct-11 18:32:51

John Lewis sell curtain pole kits with flexible corner parts for bay windows. See here

SoupDragon Sat 01-Oct-11 19:57:20

Pole brackets from Ikea. One in the very centre and one at each end IIRC.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 04-Oct-11 08:41:05

Brilliant, once my parents (or DH) come, I'll get onto it. If it is DH, I'll have to remind him to bring the drill with him.
Customs at Antwerp will be giving him very strange looks, he's already bringing DDs bike and her sewing machine.

ajuba Tue 04-Oct-11 10:04:51

Soup Dragon, do Ikea do pass over brackets for bay windows? so that you can pull the curtains around the bend?

SoupDragon Tue 04-Oct-11 12:02:00

Isnt it the rings that ar passing rings rather than the brackets? I don't know TBH, it wasn't an issue for mine because of where the brackets were.

sinclair Tue 04-Oct-11 12:10:18

It is Passover or C rings but isn't the OP talking about eyelet curtains anyway?

I don't like those bend them your self poles as they tend to sag but curtains from Ikea will be lightweight so shouldn't be a problem. bear in mind that the bend may not be tight to the corner so it may only be a short extension. Wouldn't bother me but pointing it out just in case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: