Talk

Advanced search

Houses near electricity pylons......thoughts?

(11 Posts)
Becaroooo Fri 30-Sep-11 20:33:17

House viewings again tomorrow <<weeps>>

1 very nice 3 bed semi - cul de sac, nothing really needs doing and it backs onto open woodland, but in the field behind the house there is an electricity pylon.

Not sure how I feel about this tbh...cant see it from garden but its there.

Thoughts?

basana Fri 30-Sep-11 21:04:08

Sorry, this gets a big no from me... just google it. Has been linked with a raised incidence of nasties, particularly in kids, nothing proven, but I wouldn't, even if for the fact it will be a shocker to sell on for this reason.
And that's aside of the aesthetics.

pepperrabbit Fri 30-Sep-11 21:29:10

I wouldn't. A very close friend of mine had leukaemia when we were teenagers. His bedroom overlooked one of those little sub-stations.
Could be a total coincidence, but it was mentioned often enough to worry me.
And if it's making you think twice before you even view it, then it'll have the same effect on potential buyers if you ever came to sell it yourself.

Mandy21 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:19:21

No. I wouldn't even consider it firstly because of the welfare of my family (whether there is evidence of a problem or not) but also because of potential difficulties selling because the pylon would put the vast majority of buyers.

vinegarpuss Fri 30-Sep-11 22:28:59

it's not worth the years of worry you will have - we moved last year and actually declined to view a lovely house because it was close to an electricity station

Becaroooo Fri 30-Sep-11 22:30:23

hmmm...yeah....am going to cancel. dont like to let vendors down after booking a viewing but would just be wasting their time

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 01-Oct-11 08:21:37

I posted on the very same issue last year while I was house hunting.
The same, very nice, very well kept and extended and £10k below market value house, is still for sale.
That tells me a lot.

Gonzo33 Sat 01-Oct-11 11:52:12

My Mum and Dad live in a 3 bed link detached backing onto woodland that has a pylon about half a mile away. You can't see it or hear it and I lived there from aged 6 with no ill effects and I spent most of my life around that pylon playing.

If you are worried though I wouldn't because you would be stressing constantly.

AhsokaTano Sat 01-Oct-11 13:48:41

I think even if you do the research and decide that the possible effects on health are something you can live with it will become a factor when you come to sell.

The situaltion Rips outlines is one I wouldn't want to risk!

Becaroooo Sat 01-Oct-11 14:15:28

Thanks all. Didnt view in the end.

I agree that, poss health risks aside, it would be v difficult to sell (as the current vendors are finding sadly)

SparklePrincess Mon 03-Oct-11 23:06:30

I thought it was a proven fact that living close to electricity lines increased the risk of cancer. Glad you didn't view it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now