Advanced search

Can't get in touch with our mortgage broker !

(3 Posts)
chooberry Thu 29-Sep-11 15:18:21

We are in the midst of our mortgage application and the lender requested some more documents (offer on house already accepted, so the clock is ticking). In the meantime, our mortgage broker has disappeared for 2 weeks - literally - i spoke to the broker few days ago regarding sending the additional documents and then the next time i tried calling, i could not get through. As the broker is associated with an EA, I managed to get through today to the EAs who have informed me that the broker will be away for at least 2 weeks (no reason given) and that there is no-one else who can provide us with an update. We have been told to email the broker in the hope that we receive a response - but no response so far.

Even if there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for our broker going away - I am concerned about the delay and uncertainty hanging over our heads on whether we have an 'offer in writing' or not. We cannot really proceed with any solicitor searches etc until we have that sureity.

Any suggestions on what we can do? Since we are going through the broker - is there any possibility for us to contact the lender directly and explain to them our situation? I am happy to just go direct to the lender now, but the issue of course is that we have an 'pending' application, so cannot really put in multiple applications.

It has only been a few days, so maybe I am panicking unecessarily - but knowing that we may not know anything for at least another 2 weeks is getting me a bit concerned.

ElbowFan Thu 29-Sep-11 17:35:59

What do you lose by talking to the lender and explaining the situation?
If they prefer to go through the broker, they have to wait.
If you can provide the documentation required the process can continue and you can suggest that the broker has hardly earned his commission!

You cannot just wait - he may be Lord Lucan II

narmada Thu 29-Sep-11 21:43:44

I think Elbowfan has it in one - go directly to the lender and explain what's happened, and how unhelpful the broker's being. HAve you made a full mortgage application or are you still at the Agreement in Principle stage? The AIP approval, in my experience, should be wrapped up inside a day - it's just credit check and basic affordability IIRC.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: