Talk

Advanced search

Are duck egg and grey walls for interiors a bit, out of date?

(17 Posts)
ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 29-Sep-11 09:44:08

We moved into our house about two months ago and it really needs decorating. DH is in Antwerp, but my parents are coming next month. They are really active and good at decorating.
Currently the living room is a grubby pale yellow, I really fancy pale blue or grey but, when I was viewing houses last year there were a lot that colour.
Thoughts please. It is a really sunny and light room.
Also, my bedroom. I quite fancy green but had a beige carpet laid out of desperation when we moved in. I can't afford to lay another one.

2blessed2bstressed Thu 29-Sep-11 09:49:51

I really like grey, and there are so many shades and tones that you can put it with just about anything. My bedroom is grey, silver and navy just now, and I love it!
You could put green in your bedroom with curtains, white bedlinen with a green and beige throw and maybe a cushion or two. Could be very light and fresh looking smile

CroissantNeuf Thu 29-Sep-11 09:51:10

How strange...when I read your thread title it made me think about how I noticed this summer that grey was a very popular colour for interior design in Belgium and I opened the thread and you mentioned Antwerp.

We visited relatives x2 in Belgium and both had grey living rooms and we also went to lot of wallpaper/fabric places looking for inspiration for DDs room and saw a lot of grey there I thought they looked lovely as its notacolour I've seen used much in the UK.

No help in your dilemma at all I know but just had to tell you smile

fresh Thu 29-Sep-11 10:05:24

Grey neutrals have without doubt taken over from cream neutrals and I think will be around for ages. As ever, it depends what you put with them in terms of furniture/accessories. As for blue, hmmm - 'duck egg' blue is a tricky one and means different things to different people. The type of duck egg blue which Cath Kidston uses is, I think, now too babyish (runs for cover) but there are some really gorgeous less obvious blues. If you have an F&B card, I would say something like Parma Gray is better than Lulworth Blue at the moment (and works well in a sunny room) but it will give you less leeway with furniture/accessories than a grey-toned neutral will.

Second what 2blessed2stressed said about bringing green into the bedroom.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 29-Sep-11 10:19:01

Thanks, I've obviously been influenced by the low countries colour palette. Our house in Antwerp was all greys and sludgey browns.
The blue I was thinking of was similiar to the one where your name goes in the bar on here if that makes sense.
Off to google Farrow and Ball.

teta Thu 29-Sep-11 11:00:02

I hope not,as our kitchen/utility/dining has all been painted in them very recently.I would agree with fresh that greys/whites have taken over from creamy yellows as modern neutrals.If you're looking at blues Light Blue F&B is a really lovely colour .It can look grey or blue depending on the light.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 29-Sep-11 11:58:51

Just had a look at the F&B, colours really are lovely, the prices though shock
I am going to see whether homebase or someone else does similar.
My NDN can get me 20% off at his place of work, which unfortunately isn't F&B.

fresh Thu 29-Sep-11 12:11:01

Have a look at Dulux who do have some good grey neutrals. Try Grey fieldstone which is quite warm, also Pale Morel. Cooler greys are White truffle or Star Crossed. Also Dove, slightly stronger 'pure' grey which I think might be a bit too cold (but it depends on the light in yr room) or lavender haze which will be, well, lavender-y. For blues, look at Thunderous Sky, Mineral Mist, Willow Herb...there are lots.
Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but don't paint lots of little squares on the wall when trying to decide. Paint large pieces of paper (A1 if you can) and pin them up in turn. Try them in different places in the room too, then you see what they look like against yr furniture/carpet etc. Good luck smile

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 29-Sep-11 12:14:05

Brilliant ideas fresh, I don't have a carpet we have laminate which I loathe but can't afford to do anything about. Possibly we could run to a couple of rugs.

Mammonite Thu 29-Sep-11 12:49:49

"Heron" is my favourite Dulux grey - it's a Dulux Trade colour. Has a hint of green/warmth to it. Every colour looks good next to it especially warm/dark woods.

Trying not to join the Farrow-and-Ballers but Parma Grey has got no green. It's like the blue on this thread whith the posters name/date. It's a definite powder/wedgwood blue. (One of the DS's bedrooms is done in it).

teta Thu 29-Sep-11 13:19:58

O.p. i colour-matched F&B with Dulux in a trade paint shop.They could colour-match in any range,even the trade ranges that are much cheaper than Dulux.Often the big diy places will do colour-matching as well .I have heard mixed reviews about the acuracy of the match though,from some places.

amazonianwoman Thu 29-Sep-11 13:20:38

Another a vote for Light Blue F&B - looks blue, grey or greenish depending on the light.

I'm just about do do DS's bedroom in Parma Grey, love it!

I often get F&B colours matched at the Johnston's/Leyland trade paint place - the chalky finish isn't as good but the paint is great to work with, hardwearing and the colours are excellent (to my amateur eye)

RedHelenB Thu 29-Sep-11 13:32:14

Go for what you like unless you are going to sell it very soon.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 01-Oct-11 08:25:16

Thanks all. I have decided on a bluey grey for the living room and still undecided about our my bedroom.
I had a quick look at curtains in Ikea on Thursday, I found a couple of ready mades which were OK.
My biggest problem now is wanting a pole with big circles in the curtain tops,but having a window that goes round the corner.
I think I'll start a new thread.

Mandy2003 Sat 01-Oct-11 16:54:23

I have pale green in my bedroom with a beige carpet. It was newly decorated and carpeted just before I moved in so I've not changed it, its fine. The only thing I've had to do was get rid of my burgandy toned bedding!

My curtains are green with a touch of terracotta and my bedding now alternates between beige and cream/terracotta. i'd like to get some green and cream eventually.

trixymalixy Sat 01-Oct-11 19:54:26

We have f&b light blue in the dining room it's lovely and dulux pebble mosaic in the hall and one of the bedrooms.

I think greys will be around for a while yet

hester Sat 01-Oct-11 23:13:59

F&B Blackened says its grey, and it is in some lights, but mostly it looks like a pale grey blue. I have it in my bedroom, with a brushed nickel bedstead and heather-coloured curtains, and it looks really lovely.

F&B Strong White is a very, very pale grey (looks white till you put it next to white) which is beautiful and very neutral - hard to see how it can go out of fashion. I have it in the living room with charcoal sofas, wooden floors and olive/citrine cushions and rug, and it looks great.

I think green could look lovely with a beige carpet - I'd be looking at warmer yellow-toned greens rather than bluey ones, though. Have you looked at the Fired Earth colours? Also very ££ but you could get them colour-matched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now