Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to replace spotlights with pendants?

(7 Posts)
farrowandballs Tue 27-Sep-11 16:07:43

We have a strip of 3 spotlights in our kitchen in the middle of the ceiling as our main lighting. I want to get rid of them and just have a large single pendant light. Is this possible? Could I DIY it or would I need a sparky? Or if it's not possible can anyone recommend a nice strip of spotlights we could replace the existing (80s and not in a good way) ones with. The vibe of the room is sort of country cottage with vintagey 50s aspects.
Cheers

fresh Tue 27-Sep-11 16:30:39

Do you mean you have three recessed spotlights, or one fitting with three spotlights on it? Sounds like the latter, but either way yes you can replace it. If you have three recessed downlights, you will obviously need to blank off the supplies to two of them, and then replace the third with your pendant fitting. If it's just one fitting then you just replace it with your pendant. Personally I would always get an electrician to do this.

Ref: style, have a look at Original BTC lights as a starting point - ceramic shades such as Hector, Drop One or Two, etc. Be aware that you will probably need to use CFL lamps - old style bulbs get quite hot and I've had them burn out the lampholder on Hector pendants. Or you could look at the metal or glass prismatic shades if you like a more industrial vibe. here
HTH

farrowandballs Tue 27-Sep-11 19:44:02

wow thanks fresh! aghhhh I am in love with the Phane prismatic pendant. any idea what sort of ball park they're in price wise? And yes, it's one fitting with 3 spotlights on it. Have a friend who is an electrician who I'm sure would help me out in return for a spot of babysitting. Thanks so much again for your help!

fresh Tue 27-Sep-11 22:53:10

Looks like a small one can be had for £89 at designer-lights.com, and they go up from there. They are good quality though, and they come with lovely twisted cord flex instead of white plastic. Small detail, but I think it makes a real difference. <<lighting nerd emoticon>> grin

MrsMagnolia Fri 30-Sep-11 19:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

farrowandballs Sat 01-Oct-11 16:45:27

thanks fresh and mrsm. update is I spoke to DP and came to terms with the fact that we can't afford the phane light... so we got to work with the enjo cloth on the existing spotlights and they have been transformed from fly-encrusted-grease-browny-yellow (not a farrow and ball colour btw) to an infinitely more bearable and somewhat retro Cream. so until we have a spare hundred quid or so we'll stick with what we've got for now. thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.

fresh Sun 02-Oct-11 15:56:04

But I do think you should contact Farrow and Ball's press dept with your suggestion for their next colour card...can see it going down v well in Fulham grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now