Talk

Advanced search

House security measures

(11 Posts)
silver73 Mon 26-Sep-11 21:34:42

We have 5 lever mortise locks and window locks already. Not sure if an alarm is worth it and would have to be wireless.

Any suggestions?

jalopy Tue 27-Sep-11 15:21:43

We know of several people who have had break-ins. None of them had alarm systems.

There is no way you can fully safeguard against burglary or theft but having a visible security system helps to deter burglars. The more 'obstacles' put in their way, the less they are likely to break in. They are looking for easy targets.

I think there are several types of alarms you can choose from. Ask a reputable security firms to advise.

Labradorlover Tue 27-Sep-11 19:20:01

Sounds cheeky and impractical, but dogs work a treat. Obviously you need ones that bark.....

PersonalClown Tue 27-Sep-11 19:22:08

I was about to mention woofers!! grin

I can loan you a gobby Staffy for cheap rates.

Fizzylemonade Tue 27-Sep-11 19:34:08

If you contact your local police station they have people who can advise you with local knowledge of the houses being targeted and what measures to put in place to deter criminals.

We were all given leaflets as there was a crime spree in our neighbourhood where people were just walking into houses as no-one was locking their doors shock

There is also a website www.police.uk and you can put your postcode in and see what types of crime are happening where you live. We looked at this lots when we were moving house.

PorkChopSter Tue 27-Sep-11 19:45:34

We got an alarm recently - wireless and cost much less than we had expected.

befrazzled Tue 27-Sep-11 21:13:42

If you can't afford an alarm system just put up dummy boxes (pretend alarm boxes) one at the front and one at the back of your house. If you are going to be returning home when it is dark (ie been to work or shopping) make sure you have lamps set to timers so they come on when you are out, not just downstairs but upstairs as well. Make your home look like it is occupied, not like you have put one light on so it looks like someone is in iykwim. Keep gates closed and the perimeter of your property in good condition ie fence or hedge maintained. Also don't leave valuables on display so if anyone does look through the windo they can't see your important stuff. Mark your valuables with a UV pen, keep a list of what you have ie pc, tv etc and consider joining your NHW, they will update you re current crime patterns in your area so you know what to look out for. Guess what I do for a living!? grin No I am not a burglar..

queensusan Wed 28-Sep-11 14:32:47

I was told that the alarm is a real deterrent, but dummy boxes are pretty obvious. Often the burglar will break in despite the alarm box and then wait to see if there is any response eg. phone call to the house to indicate the alarm is monitored. We were advised that best deterrent is a video camera on the wall and apparently these are pretty cheap if you are able to DIY with a wireless feed to a laptop.

queensusan Wed 28-Sep-11 14:34:46

Oh, and what befrazzled said about keeping outside in good condition. I would add install good lighting outside and be aware of any "interference" such as someone moving the bins or trying to open gates.

serotoninbutterfly Wed 28-Sep-11 14:41:06

Defensive planting (spiky bushes), low hedges around the front of the house (so neighbours can see if someone is at the door that isn't meant to be) a dog definitely (or doggy paraphernalia like a dog bowl etc) and a simple monitored alarm system should be a good deterrent, along with removing valuables. Your local police force can provide a 'crime reduction' survey to give you specific advice for your property too! Speak to your local PCSO smile

Guess what I do for a living??wink

Lizcat Wed 28-Sep-11 16:32:09

Yesterdays advice from police attending our home after burgled by ripping our five lever mortice lock patio door right off it's hinges was - they only way to protect againist professionals like these is to have no windows and one steel door into the house. He also agreed that this is not a practical solution. My big mistake was no safe - coming soon will be bolted to an external wall and well hidden.
A friend saw a suspicious person stop his lorry walked back checked the property all okay, so went on. In the next 50 minutes they had the patio door off and stole £20,000 worth of stuff. They walked right past all the dog stuff without batting an eyelid.
So having lost everything in future I know I can't stop them getting in, what I will do is make it impossible to get my precious stuff, I don't care about electricals and bizarrely they are all still here much to the amazement of the CID who visited about an hour ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now