Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen base units - less is more??!!

(6 Posts)
monkeymiss Sat 24-Sep-11 12:57:24

Am trying to decide how best to divide a straight run of 3200mm of base units. Need a minimum of 600mm for a sink base unit.

Should I just keep it simple: 1 x 800mm unit for sink plus 4 x 600mm units? One of these base units would be for drawers (cutlery drawer on top).

Or are narrower base units more useful?

Is 600mm too wide for drawers?

I'm noticing IKEA have lots of 300mm and 400mm base units. We're not necessarily going with IKEA, but I do think they have good design features generally.

Any advice much appreciated!!!!!

said Sat 24-Sep-11 14:19:30

I'd wouldn't bother with the 3000 or 4000 base units if you can fit 6000 ones. I'd go for a more uniform sizes if along one run of units. 6000 are absolutely fine for drawers

Canella Sat 24-Sep-11 14:32:46

We've just had our kitchen done and on one side have 2 x 800mm drawers with a 600mm one in between. The bigger ones are a great size. But the 600mm is also quite big so useful.

I would always get big drawers - you can get so much stuff in them

monkeymiss Sat 24-Sep-11 20:51:34

Thanks so much, said and Canella.

Do you not find that such large drawers get cluttered though? Fine for pan drawers (which I am having elsewhere btw). But do you not think smaller base units are needed as well? I'm thinking larder pull out thingies and good ol' cupboards with shelves!!!

said Sun 25-Sep-11 11:41:42

For the top drawer in my drawer units, I have cutlery divider things - so one has normal cutlery, the other the utensils you have but hardly use. Another top drawer has tea towels in. The remainder of the drawers are for plates, bowls etc and bakery stuff. I do have one tall larder cupboard with shelves which is useful for food processor, vases, flasks etc (stuff). The rest of my base units all have pull out things inside which are really much more useful than shelves, I think, as you can see everything you have and are able to access it.

monkeymiss Sun 25-Sep-11 12:27:38

Thanks said, that's helpful! Am finalising my design now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now