Talk

Advanced search

Advice for nursery wall colours

(8 Posts)
Likeaheadlesschicken Fri 23-Sep-11 10:42:14

Hi,

We are just about to start painting DD's bedroom and the theme is loosely based on ladybirds/flowers.

All her nursery furniture is white and we are in the process of sanding the floor boards to then paint them white also. I am stuck on what colour to paint the walls. The room is quite large (11x13) and is north facing.

Ideally we want this room to last her quite a while (she is only 1).

Any recommendations for paint colours? I was thinking a white with red tones? Does such a paint exist. Also has anyone seen any good wallpaper, either flower print or ladybird. The room could take a "themed wall" or we could paper the chimney breast or the recesses either side of the chimney!

Thanks in advance for any advice, this is our first house so I am definately a DIY/interiors novice!

wonkylegs Fri 23-Sep-11 10:52:08

I went for cream overall (easy to touch up) and he has a large primary coloured caterpillar painted across one wall & colourful primary coloured framed paintings on the others (cat, dog, mouse & cow painted by me grin)
Blue spotty curtains, wooden furniture & a yellow mouse & cheese light www.inlight-decor.com/cheezz-childrens-ceiling-light-for-kids-bedroom/

It was quite calming when he was young and as he's got older we've added pictures that he's done, a bright red & orange lion chair
The small hits of colour against a very plain background work very well (even if I do say so myself...one of my favourite rooms when it's tidy wink)

Likeaheadlesschicken Fri 23-Sep-11 12:00:46

Thanks Wonkylegs

minipie Fri 23-Sep-11 12:44:39

Lots of ladybird wall stickers here

I'd go for warm slightly off white walls, maybe Dulux Jasmine White or Crown Soft Linen which are both a very pale yellowy cream colour. I quite like the idea of doing the recesses either side of the chimney in a feature colour (some kind of red could be good if you go for ladybird theme), it's a bit different and less dominant than doing the chimney breast itself.

Likeaheadlesschicken Fri 23-Sep-11 13:13:35

Thanks Minipie there are some fab stickers on that website.

wonkylegs Fri 23-Sep-11 14:38:13

If you are going down the ladybird theme.... lights
www.glow.co.uk/coccinet-ceiling-light.html or more grown up www.radiancelighting.co.uk/designers/jorja-wilkinson-design/small-ladybird-lampshade.html
Rugs
kidmart.co.uk/handmade-childrens-ladybird-thick-rug-beautifully-crafted-and-designed/%23.TnyKVCp5mc0 or
www.fruugo.co.uk/ladybird-circle-rugs-in-red-and-black-red-80x80cm-2-6-x2-6/p-1031078?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product%2Bsearch
Bedding
www.thenurserycompany.com/Bedding/index.html

Indaba Fri 23-Sep-11 22:48:48

go neutral as much as you can

accessorise with stuff that is cheap and replaceable

here speaks mum of girls who LOVED pink but now can't stand it and boys who LOVED Spiderman but now want to gun him down

HoneyPablo Sat 24-Sep-11 10:32:13

Babies respond better to calm, neutral colours, so think cream or off-white.
I would steer clear of any red. DD 14 had a feature red wall in her room which I have had to paint cream as she said it made her feel angry and not bale to sleep properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now